Bays de noc report

Discussion in 'Warm Water Fishing Inland UP Lakes' started by TCcrawdad, May 16, 2020.

1. djohn

djohn

Leaving in the am. Will also be staying in Kipling at Brocks. Best of luck to your group and be safe. Thanks for the reply.

2. djohn

djohn

Returned from a week of fishing on LBDN. We caught over 170 walleye with only one being a keeper. Caught enough perch to have a good meal and bring a meal home. No bugs that were a problem.All people we talked to had about the same story.

3. zzcop302

zzcop302 Premium Member

I moved about a half hour from LBDN 6 years ago.
    I know that many people, especially downstate have the impression LBDN is fairly spectacular fishing.
    I did too before moving here from central Ohio.
    I don’t claim to be a great walleye angler but I can do okay.... but, imo, LBDN isn’t anything but maybe average.
    It may have been some years ago, but it’s certainly not anything I’d make a drive for.
    Obviously some years are better than others, but your comment on a large number of fish but all short is the common story this year..... Lots of short fish.
    Until I moved, I used to catch lots of decent walleye fishing out of Port Clinton in Lake Eire, exceeded anything close to LBDN by 100 times.
    I don’t mean to rain on anyone’s parade that want to fish LBDN, but unless you hit a particularly good day, it’s usually just not as fantastic or productive as you may envision.
    This is not just my experience living here.... I have a handful of neighbors and friends who fish it regularly and have the same experience as I describe.
    Lots of short fish this year.
    Don’t let me dissuade anyone from coming to the UP.... it’s a fantastic and beautiful area.... and lots of great fishing in many of the other lakes and also loads of great camping opportunities.

4. Mike

Mike

You moved up there right after the fishing went south. I’ve heard lots of speculation why, just glad those underside fish are there again and the fishing should be back in a few years...

Mike

zzcop302 likes this.
  5. zzcop302

zzcop302 Premium Member

Hoping it improves...
    According to many of the long time locals, the biggest blame for the drastic decline in the quality of fishing is due to a big increase in netting.
    I remember you stayed in Rapid River.
    We still go out from there occasionally, mostly perch and smallmouth.
    It’s been so windy past few weeks, I haven’t even considered going there, but I have hit a few inland lakes for smallmouth.
    Do you think you will make it to the UP this year?
    Kurt

Mike likes this.
  6. Mike

Mike

Yes - missed the May walleye trip the last two years (issues with my outboard), but will be there July 3-11. :) Won’t go out on the bay, but will give the pike and smallies a go on the Whitefish...

Mike

7. zzcop302

zzcop302 Premium Member

Yes, I remember you fishing that with good success.... white spinner baits if my memory is correct....
    The Whitefish is good and also the short distance you can go up Rapid River to the railroad bridge.
    Don’t forget to try 50 cent wing night at the Swallow Inn in town on Thursdays.
    You won’t be disappointed.
    If you feel like you may need assistance in drinking a cold beer or two, get hold of me.... I’m always willing to help those in need :cool:

Lance Cashler, Drake and Mike like this.
  8. lazyike

lazyike

I am lucky enough to be part of a small group of guys that have been taking fishing trips
    to the UP for over 35 years now. Some of the guys keep their campers at a park on Saginaw Bay for the summer and the rest of our little mob has a standing invitation to go down and fish any time.

No, the walleye fishing at LBDN is not nearly in the same league as Saginaw Bay, at least at current levels. I have heard it was much better in the past.

We don't go to the UP several times a year because of the fishing. Sure, we like to catch fish (and eat them) as much as anybody, but we usually have plenty of fish in the freezer.

We go to the UP because it is close enough to get to fairly easily but different enough to give us a change once in a while. For some reason, our wives seem to look forward to our little expeditions as much as we do. A trip to LBDN in June and a trip to Drummond in the fall is our groups normal program.

After 30 years at another location, we decided we wanted to try a different spot and started going to Kipling. We have been going to the same resort now for about 5 years and are in love with the place, the area and the people we have met.

As far as fishing, the walleye at LBDN (and other places in the UP) while certainly the same species, don't look like the walleye at SB. The beautiful deep gold color of the northern walleye is quite different from the paler light green of the southern Lake Huron fish. We also have endless discussions about the difference (to some) in taste.

I like them both.

Barco, Drake, zzcop302 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Cat Power

Cat Power

We are heading to Rapid river next week for 4 days of fishing. Probably going to try something different and troll for Pike in Ogantz bay (BBDN). Bought a bunch of Rapala super shad raps and cowgirl spinner baits try.

Bringing perch rods too, just in case

how's it going up there right now?

thanks

10. homemadespud

homemadespud

Little bay slow but perch picking up, lots of little walleyes. Water temp at 64 degrees

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

11. Layvon

Layvon

Take some drop shots and try for footballs too.

This was labor day weekend.

Lost a 28"+ walleye at the boat. Might have been 30. PB for sure.

Fishing humps in big bay[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Mike likes this.
  12. Cat Power

Cat Power

I’m bringing drop shot rods

thank you

not exactly sure where the jumps are but I will find on navionics

thank you

13. gatorman841

gatorman841 Premium Member

Hey Cat are you staying at Ken’s place Sall-Mars? I’ve had best luck for eyes in the river trolling to the mouth on the esky occasional silver fish to this time of year. If you want some info shoot me a pm

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  14. Cat Power

Cat Power

Pm sent

thank you

15. Cat Power

Cat Power