Bay Walleye Spotted - Oct 27 Report

Discussion in 'Saginaw Bay and its Tributaries' started by PartyMarty, Oct 28, 2020.

1. PartyMarty

PartyMarty Premium Member

Put about 60 miles of scouting in on Tuesday. Keep trying to intercept fish coming south but I could not believe how little was on sonar out in the basin.

IMG_0855 3.jpg

We finally zig zagged around the west drop off and after a couple hours of staring at sonar at 20mph, marked some activity that looked promising.

2020-10-27_17-23-20.jpg

Since we have been burned by catfish & gar before, we dropped camera down to verify the species and sure enough, spotted a couple beefy eyes swimming around.

wally cam.jpg

We setup for a pass at 1.6 and rode waves to 2.1 SOG pulling deep Bandits 70' behind boards in 20' of water. Had the first fish on before setting 2nd rod. I can't say the action was on fire and we did not limit out, but after the struggles in Aug/Sep it was good to see some healthy fish. I'll be out scouting again next week looking for the mass. I think they are coming hope to see YOUR live wells full soon!
    IMG_0847.JPG

2. Fishndude

Fishndude

Great report. Franks had Bandits on sale for $5.99 a couple weeks ago. A buddy told me that Bandits don't catch Walleyes @ Saginaw Bay, but we kill the fish with em on Erie.

PartyMarty likes this.

3. PartyMarty

I’m more of a Husky Jerk guy in cold water but I like to put a Bandit in the middle of the spread in the hope of rattling something in.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

4. Bay BornNRaised

Bay BornNRaised

Thanks for report Marty! Although All the fish are on the Eastside......

5. hhlhoward

hhlhoward Premium Member

Thanks for doing the leg work Marty and keeping us updated!

PartyMarty likes this.
  6. David Mackinder

David Mackinder

Great report,thanks. I see a lot of your reports.Thanks again

PartyMarty likes this.
  7. leafybug

leafybug

Lucky you, any remaining fisherman not chasing bambi are now on the west side!

PartyMarty likes this.
  8. leafybug

leafybug

Awesome scouting mission Marty! That's quite an arsenal of recon gear you have there! We all appreciate it!

PartyMarty likes this.
  9. Nickolai M Miotto

Nickolai M Miotto

PartyMarty likes this.
  10. CrawlerHarness

CrawlerHarness

Thanks for posting. Much more scientific approach than the rest of us that just go fishing. Just a lot to learn for all of us.

PartyMarty likes this.
  11. PartyMarty

I get skunked. I get skunked on days when guys in 16’ aluminum boats just pick a spot and start fishing and get limits. I keep trying to learn and just when I think I have it kind of figured out... the Bay humbles me.

12. Layvon

Layvon

What transducer is that Marty?

My boat came prerigged with a lowrance through hull and I was able to find an adapter to go to the helix. At high speed I know it's not gonna look great but there's quite the difference in quality in imaging between your screen and mine.

Thanks for the report.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

PartyMarty likes this.
  13. PartyMarty

I have an Hbird High n Wide glued in the bilge (used in pic) and I have a MEGA ducer that I adjusted 1/16” at a time to also mark at speed. I have some videos on my YouTube site that go over settings and placement. I think you can get excellent results with Lowrance, Garmin, etc. Lets face it, its just sound bouncing off of fish, they all work well. I really do like marking fish at 25mph when conditions allow it and transducer placement is paramount, as are proper settings and clean power from battery. I’m still not 100% confident in high speed search but I’m getting better each trip.

fisheater likes this.
  14. Layvon

Layvon

Thanks for the tips. My MSI ducer did great on my last boat got about 27-30 out of it. My new boat stinks for ducer placement can only get 8 lol.

I'll give the Bird ducer a try next year if it becomes a problem I suppose. I'm just glad I have it for depth at speed now cause it was scary running blind. I wondered if I'd get better imagery with an actual bird ducer than the lowrance with an adapter.

Tight lines this fall sir, appreciate what you do for the Saginaw Bay area

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

PartyMarty likes this.
  15. PartyMarty

Be careful swapping ducers between manufacturers, they like to use slightly different frequencies. If you are having a difficult time getting high speed readings from the long imaging ducers, try these High Speed skimmer ducers. You can use a Y cable to split the 2D signal away from your imaging ducer but still retain your imaging features, it works really well. I actually have 3 ducers, the glued hull one goes to my mapping unit and the high speed skimmer is connected to my MEGA right beside the long mega ducer which I use for imaging only.

IMG_0874.JPG Adjustments.JPG