Bay Walleye Report - Nov 3

Discussion in 'Saginaw Bay and its Tributaries' started by PartyMarty, Nov 3, 2020.

1. Ralph Smith

Ralph Smith Premium Member

You tried any of the DDHJ12s?

2. CrawlerHarness

CrawlerHarness

Don't have any. I know the bigger ones do better, but when I bought my "program" of stick baits, I have stuck to my guns and haven't added any in a few years.

fisheater and Ralph Smith like this.

3. Slimshady

Slimshady

I saw this picture of the Humminbird sonar in one of the posts above and noticed the lack of any significant fish arches.

[​IMG]
    This is what walleyes look like on my Lowrance HDS. If you notice, the depth is about the same, so that wouldn't be the reason. I fished with a guy recently who only runs Humminbird's on his boat and he couldn't get over how much better Lowrance seems to be when marking fish. On the flip side, his Humminbirds are MUCH better with their side-imaging when compared to Lowrance. Any one else notice this as well?
    upload_2020-11-17_16-10-59.png

PartyMarty likes this.
  4. Slimshady

Slimshady

I think I found part of the issue anyway. I just noticed that the SOG (speed over ground) in the picture of the Humminbird screen shows 22 mph. Mine tends to mark more specs and blotches at those speeds as well. In fact, when I am going that fast, I look at the "flasher" area and look for yellow or orange blotches to appear 5-15 feet off the bottom.

anagranite and PartyMarty like this.
  5. PartyMarty

PartyMarty Premium Member

Correct buddy, that pic was when I was searching up on plane, once I turned around and trolled over the area at slower speed, they were arches.

6. CrawlerHarness

CrawlerHarness

Slimshady, as PartyMarty stated.....those specs at 22.7 mph are fish. I wouldn't call seeing "specs" at that speed an issue, but a definite positive. PartyMarty is marking fish at 22.7 mph on bottom or 1 foot off bottom. The most I have seen videos on is 25 mph.

Historically, Lowrance's have been better at marking fish on Sonar. But if you compare my Humminbird images to your screenshots, on the Humminbird you can see what direction the walleye are facing and see the tails. Obviously depends on the level of Humminbird / Lowrance / Garmin that you use.....but I think the image shown below is far superior to the humps on the old Lowrances.

IMG_0435.jpg

Shiawassee_Kid likes this.
  7. Ralph Smith

Ralph Smith Premium Member

I can see the turned down mouths. Those are sheephead .:lol:

8. CrawlerHarness

CrawlerHarness

Either that or they are those monster walleye-eating-perch making their way out to sparkplug to join the rest at the 2020 convention. o_O

Ralph Smith likes this.