Bay Walleye Report - Nov 3

Discussion in 'Saginaw Bay and its Tributaries' started by PartyMarty, Nov 3, 2020.

1. cleaver

cleaver

spot lock and jig

2. CrawlerHarness

CrawlerHarness

upload_2020-11-12_19-14-2.jpeg
    upload_2020-11-12_19-14-57.jpeg

Same program, DDH10 in 22-24 FOW. Water temp 47. Normal fall spots at 1.1-1.3 mph today. Went 10/11 with all fish 18-22”.

The pics are examples of what I was seeing on my screen most of the day. They were on bottom in the morning, then 2-5 feet off bottom in the afternoon. Dial in the depth. Again only 4 trolling boats in the morning, and pretty much nobody in the afternoon. Everyone was at spark plug for the perch.

3. Layvon

Layvon

Had I seen Mark's like this jigging would have been considered but it wasn't near as concentrated [​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

eagle eyes and 6667supersport like this.
  4. CrawlerHarness

CrawlerHarness

I spent a lot of time dialing in the Chirp today. Felt pretty good on it. I would say the fish weren't biting as we trolled about 8-9 miles today, and lots of marks like the ones seen. With those marks I would have expected a 30+ fish day.

As for Mega Side Imaging Plus....I can't seem to get it dialed in. If I am seeing them on Chirp, they should be showing up at 1200 kilohertz. Should I be switching to 800 or 455 even at 1.2 mph and screen speed of 2? Obviously I know how to adjust screen speed, sensitivity, and contrast. But none of that is working. Do I need to adjust the transducer angle?

5. Layvon

Layvon

This is where I feel confident on helping lol.

So side imaging in the relatively featureless bay is minimally useful for me. Baitballs and occasional pod is all you're going to see. Definitely not beneficial at speed.

I like to find hooks at speed on traditional sonar cranked up in speed and sensitivity. Once you see something of interest Slow down and a scope sonar split screen with MDI. (For others reading if you don't have MDI split screen with zoom 2D and normal 2D) MDI really shows bottom separation better.

This was Sunday when I found a hump that was LOADED with fish. I was so irritated I couldn't get anything to go.

MSI really shines in structure like weeds and bottom Transition. [​IMG]

6. CrawlerHarness

CrawlerHarness

Thanks for the help Ralph.

Tried about 10 different colors today. The greens caught 0. I am usually a purple fan, but they didn't seem choosy today, just what I would call slow for all the marks. Maybe 2-3 on purple perch, 2 on clowns, 2-3 on blue, 2 on purple/mirror bottom.

Anything above 75 caught nothing. Anything below 110 caught nothing. Anything with snap weights caught nothing, although we didn't run that for long.

Ralph Smith likes this.
  7. CrawlerHarness

CrawlerHarness

So play with MDI+ / Chirp side by side first. Find them on MDI+ then move over to MSI+? With all of the marks I was seeing on Chirp....and catching some fish, I couldn't see them on MSI+ at 1200 MHZ. I did see an exact image of what you are showing, with the 3-4 fish in white about 50' away, 4-8 feet above bottom based on the shadows. But only once did I see it / notice it.

But there is no chance the fish were directly under the boat all day.

8. Layvon

Layvon

If they're tight to bottom it's tough. Especially in flat 25'+ deep water. You.can cheat a little and do the contour mode to help pull the screen tighter but at the end of the day, the clearest signal you have is water column when you're in deep water so it makes it increasingly difficult.

That photo I posted was 19- 21' if I remember correctly

MY Rules of thumb
    0-15' = MSI
    15-20 = MDI/MSI
    20' = MDI

CrawlerHarness likes this.
  9. CrawlerHarness

CrawlerHarness

That helps. We should be back out Saturday. Hopefully I see more walleye boats out then. Always have a little more worry when we are the only boat out in cold water / cold weather.

fisheater likes this.
  10. Layvon

Layvon

Maybe I'll see you out there still debating if I want to try and fish and travel to deer camp on same day

11. PartyMarty

PartyMarty Premium Member

Remember that the higher the frequency, the smaller the area you will see. 455 will see suspended fish, 1200 (MEGA) might not see fish you see on 2D.
    si.jpg

12. Bay buster

Bay buster

Do it

13. CrawlerHarness

CrawlerHarness

Made it out again on Saturday fishing around the same normal spots. Only got 1 fish from 7:30 until noon. Couldn't really find any marks at all. Tried an area about 8 square miles. Then it was game on. Ended up with 13 including a 25" and 26" and 4 of them at 22-23"....but they were all fat. Again the program was slow at 1.1-1.3 mph. water temp was 46. Hard to go that slow when the waves were running solid 2 footers and then got a little questionable out there with some 3 footers. A long and wet 35 minute ride in from 7 miles out. But only 3-4 other boats walleye fishing during the day. Obviously a few boats were out in the channel perching and I assume doing well.

No great screen shots from this day, although there were plenty of marks in the afternoon....hence the caught fish.

walleye50, 3BMF’s and Ralph Smith like this.
  14. Ralph Smith

Ralph Smith Premium Member

Nice job. :) were fish still deep?

15. CrawlerHarness

CrawlerHarness

Thanks Ralph. We tried 70-130 back on DDHJ10's. Seemed to get them more at 105-125 this time out. Again at 1.1-1.3 mph. Anytime we were faster than 1.4 mph.....nada.

They hit on all colors again....didn't like anything with orange or green though. Mostly purples, clowns, and blues.

Just need to figure them out for morning hours now.....or just start fishing at 11 AM :mad:

Junto beans, 3BMF’s and Ralph Smith like this.