close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Battery relocation in boat?

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by onebad800, Nov 29, 2017.

1. onebad800

onebad800

Got a question for my boat its a 17' polarcraft and i typically use a transom mount trolling motor to river fish , my issue is i want to put the 2 big batteries for it up front in one of the compartments to move weight forward and get them out of my foot space. So has anyone done this, my question is can i just run wires all the way back to some kind of junction box where i can connect the trolling motor wires to? a quick connect would be ideal if out there? I see BP sells a wire kit but its like $150 but not sure if thats what its even made for??

FishManDan likes this.
  2. hommer23

hommer23

You can run 6 or 8 gauge marine wire under the floor from front to back. Just watch for sharp edges and put bushings on any drilled/punched holes the wire goes through. I would add a breaker to the line also, then use a Minn Kota MKR-18 or similar plug on the motor and back of the boat.

3. onebad800

onebad800

4. Scout 2

Scout 2

Run it thru plastic pipe and it will work. That is what I did

5. michigandrake

michigandrake

I did this on my old river boat back in the day using bulk extension cord. It worked really good and the orange coating really did a good job of protecting the wires. Just make sure the connections are in a dry spot. I did solder all my connections and it's been 15 years with zero problems. If you ever thought about an onboard charger now would be a good time to put one in.

6. onebad800

onebad800

yes thats the plan is installing a dual bank charger at same time over the winter

7. WallyWorld

WallyWorld

It's all about amperage, depending on your TM, I believe most are over 40 amp draws, which in any case 6 awg wire is the least you should go running long distances. If you have a bigger TM, let's say 24v or 36v, you may even want to go up to 4awg at longer lengths. See chart...
    Screenshot_20171130-184139.png

8. piketroller

piketroller

Run 6 gage wires like the others have said, and you can use one of these quick connects it won’t be out in the open:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B014...ck+connect&dpPl=1&dpID=41+xXuCg3UL&ref=plSrch

I used one of these connectors for my bow mount trolling motor when I relocated batteries this spring. As long as the connector isn’t exposed to get rained on, it works as good as the $50 trolling motor specific quick disconnects.