close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bass baits

Discussion in 'Warm Water Fishing Inland LP Lakes' started by Scout 2, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Scout 2

Scout 2

I do not bass fish but my oldest grandson does and I want to get him some lures for it. I was thinking topwater but I have no idea what to get. Can someone give me any ideas? Thanks

2. ebijack

ebijack Premium Member

Where does he like to fish. Shore, boat, docks. How does he like to fish for bass. Largemouth and smallmouth? Can make a difference in what the better lures would be.

3. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

1st - Pop-R
    2nd - Zara Spook
    3rd - Devil's Horse
    4th - Tiny Torpedo
    5th - Jitterbug
    6th - #11 Floating Rapala
    7th - Hollow Frog
    8th - Buzz Bait

ma1979 likes this.
  4. Scout 2

Scout 2

For him it does not mater as long as there is water. But I think mostly large mouths as the own a lake which is in the middle of their farm. I know there is largemouths in there. He fishes with a kayak a lot

5. Scout 2

Scout 2

Thanks that will give me a start

6. AllenMorgan

AllenMorgan

Pop-R, Tiny Torpedo, Jitterbug, Rebel T10 Jumping Minnow (good luck with this one)

7. 386xf

386xf

Topwater baits are fun but can be tough to fish and seem to be somewhat weather dependent. My top baits to just catch fish of either bass species for ease of use

1.White spinner bait chartreuse trailer

2. Charter. Spinnerbait white trailer

3. Black or purple Zoom trick worm with 1/8 oz jig head or wacky rigged

8. ebijack

ebijack Premium Member

Top water/jerk baits/frogs can be a bit tough to fish from a kayak if there is any wind/waves and standing trying to control the rhythm/cadence. Sitting down just doesn't work all that well for most trying to use those type baits. Wrong rod angle sitting for best action.
    Like above, I'd suggest spinnerbaits from 1/8oz crappie baits to 3/8oz since he will be fishing around weeds/cattails etc. Also Chatter baits. For shore casting or weedy conditions.
    Weedbeds, tube baits, trick worms, lipless crankbaits like rattle traps.
    That is a start.

9. AllenMorgan

AllenMorgan

I fish from a kayak, sitting, and don't have a problem. I start the retrieve with my rod tip high, and lower the rod tip as the lure gets closer.

You want to find a lure that's heavy enough to get a long cast. That's why I mentioned the T10 Jumping Minnow. It's a heavy, tail-weighted walk-the-dog lure that's caught a LOT of fish for me. However, Rebel only makes them every few years. I have a stash of them, in case I loose them. Check the clearance bins at Walmart and Meijer. Knutson's has a bunch, but are charging $6/each for them.

I forgot to mention a Chug Bug in my original reply.

A couple other things I like to do are: A) add an extra split ring between the lure body and the lead treble. It provides an extra pivot point that makes it harder to a fish to throw the hook. B) Upgrade the hooks to an EWG treble. I like Mustad Ultrapoint KVD hooks.

10. Scout 2

Scout 2

Thanks everyone time to go shopping this week. Maybe time to head to Northwoods again

11. woodyyyy

woodyyyy

For hollow-body frog I would recommend you the Runcl topwater frog tackle box. It contains 5 frog of different colors and shapes. Throwing anyone of them would be much of fun.

12. Vertical jig

Vertical jig

If I could only choose one bass lure it would be a tie between a wacky rig or the ned rig. Just my 2 cents

13. g6463

g6463

if he is a young. i would go 7.5 plastic worm rigged weedless. motor oil, tequila sunrise with glitter. wont snag as much and will catch plenty of bass. i use eagle claw 1/0 double barb hooks with no wieght

Vertical jig likes this.
  14. gundogguy

gundogguy

My new go to bass lure spoonplug.