Basic pike fishing lures

Discussion in 'Warm Water Fishing Inland LP Lakes' started by kwt, Jun 6, 2020.

1. kwt

kwt

Looking to put together a basic kit for pike fishing in the the lakes/rivers in Michigan. Any suggestions of lures and color combinations.

2. Matt V

Matt V

My go to pike lures are, Rattle Trap, Rapala X Raps, Chatterbaits and spinner baits.

3. selectcut

selectcut

Dont forget the trusty old spoon. Red and white and 5 diamonds from dare devil. I almost use johnson silver minnows with weed guard.

4. -Axiom-

-Axiom- Premium Member

When they are in the reeds and lily pads, a Johnson silver minnow w/trailer.

ESOX and RDS-1025 like this.
  5. michcats

michcats

I just bought a rapala that says swims like wounded minnow .in perch color going out at 5am. hopefully thus is the magic one .anyone else try them? first time i seen them i think they are called flutter float

6. gundogguy

gundogguy

All of the above suggestions will get the job. and I have used many of them.
    Though my go to choice is a 700 Spoonplug, cant count the number of 30in or larger Pike and Muskies I have hooked with this lure. Design to work 15 to 20 ft down. As for color keep it simple bright days bright lures dark days dark lures, some colors are actually neutral and can be effective any time.

download.jpg

Hal

The big boy in my picture by my name was hooked on bright day using a silver 700 spoonplug

Glock1911 likes this.
  7. Stubee

Stubee

I’ve caught pike on about anything: floating & sinking Rapalas, Daredevles, Shad Raps, spinner baits, Lil Cleos, Dardevles, diving plugs, floating & regular jigs, even drop shotting for bass with a little 3” worm. One of the biggest pike I’ve ever seen hooked, and I’m talking a good 48” and heavy, was by a kid using a huge spoon with two smaller spoons hanging off the end with treble hooks. The old pike must have been so shocked when it swam by him that she couldn’t help herself.

The two biggest pike and musky I’ve caught we’re both on a Cyclops Lite spoon in chartreuse/silver or some color like that. I caught hundreds of pike on that lightweight “flutter” spoon on a NW Ontario fly-in and the big ones in little coves off Bae Finn in Georgian Bay. I loved that spoon there because you could work it over submerged boulders, logs and rock walls. I’ve never had near as much luck with it at spots in MI but it’s the only lure I cast up in Canada in those waters because it never quit producing.

Bassbug and Glock1911 like this.
  8. waldowillie

waldowillie

For big and small slimers use spinners and spoons. If you want to target big gators use a Super Shad Rap or (if you can find them from 20+ years ago) try deep water yo-yoing a Bucher Fluttertail in red & white.

Stubee and Glock1911 like this.
  9. jstfish48162

jstfish48162

Any bass lure over $10 :banghead3

Don’t forget to have a decent size float with a perch or bluegill under it.

White spinnerbaits and chatterbaits work great.

snortwheeze, mbirdsley and Stubee like this.
  10. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

Spinner baits. Lots of flash, vibration, and movement. Only one hook to deal with.

Bassbug, Fishfighter and Stubee like this.
  11. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

Silver Minnows rule in rivers. You can change he drop rate with wider trailers. You can fish right into the timber where the pike love to hide. Fish tight through the weedy edges.
    A heavy jig N trailer for those deep runs in bends where you cant get down fast enough with a crank to those pigs holding right under the dropoff.
    And perch and silver w black back Xraps, deep and shallow runners. I want to cry every time I leave one on the bottom, but they sure catch fish.
    Buzzbaits, for along logs and over mid river weed beds. Sometimes a buzzbait is what it takes to wake them up. I really like the Nemire red ripper series, it can be worked so slowly and drive reluctant fish nuts. (I think they call the buzzbait version a sputterbuzz, but all of their Red Ripper series are deadly, Smallies and ditch pickles love them too)

Glock1911 and Stubee like this.
  12. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

[​IMG]
    This spoon is good for pike. I’ve gotten away from fishing for pike in the last 2-3 years but, I always seemed to land one when I used it. I’m pretty sure you have to order directly from eppinger though

That and any bass jerk bait over ten dollars haha

Pike love this kvd jerk bait I’ve lost about three of them to toothy critters. The one I have now I was bitten off last fall in Sanford. Thinking crap there goes another one. About 15 minutes later I’m still in the same area and happen to look down and there it is floating next to the boat

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    Glock1911 and ESOX like this.
  13. kwt

kwt

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Been awhile since I targeted pike. What about leaders I have some 30 and 60 fluorocarbon that I used for bluefish and Spanish mackerel down south. Would that work for pike here.

14. mrt6893

mrt6893

i use 18 inch 80LB leaders but i switch the snap that it comes with to a smaller snap

15. snortwheeze

snortwheeze

#3 mepps black fury. I'd go #4-5 though. Haven't seen the black fury in that size though just #3. 3 pike 12 cast last time I fished with it. Just hammer handles and a mid 20s but fun none the less

plugger likes this.