Basic 4 wheeler. Recommendations?

Discussion in '4 Wheeling - ATVs' started by shaffe48b, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

What ever you do get one with EFI. Rec fuel only.

YOTEANTIDOTE and shaffe48b like this.
  2. shaffe48b

shaffe48b

Yeah my bike is carbed and I ride it to work year around. Below 45 I need a jump start battery and run it half choked all the way to work. Not good for a fall hunting rig.

3. Skunkedlikeusual

Skunkedlikeusual

Funny I hear about Sportsman’s and problems. I ride with a’15 and ‘17 570, a 700, a 450, and a 400. All at 1000 to 4000 miles. Only the 4000 mile 700 had issues, and that was not changing the AGL and it locking on. I’ve had one since an ‘03. I guess if you make a couple million, there will be issues.
    Independent rear suspension is the biggest option of any non-sports quad for me. Straight axles ride terrible, and lose ground clearance. I’d never go back to it.

shaffe48b and Jimbo 09 like this.
  4. shaffe48b

shaffe48b

Man it's a tough world out there. Thought I found something at a local dealer and he tried screwing me around. Get all around to signing papers and the credit is denied because vehicle is 4 years older than advertised. I was already paying him $2-500 over value cause the market and the 4 years reduced the value a further $1100!

I'm really looking into a new king quad 400. The shift and the 2 to 4 wheel seems simpler than others and some are priced around 5k. About the same as the sportsman deals anymore.

5. Superhik

Superhik

If price is the same I'd go with Sportsman. You get bigger motor, better suspension, more ground clearance...

Jimbo 09 and shaffe48b like this.
  6. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

Sounds like a dealer to stay away from. Shady...

shaffe48b likes this.
  7. shaffe48b

shaffe48b

Yeah doesn't sound like an honest mistake does it. Could be wrong.

8. shaffe48b

shaffe48b

Another cute event. Dealer quotes me out the door price of $1100 more than the list price. This is 20% higher than list. Now the michigan tax rate is 4.225% along with a <$20 title and decal fee. This can't include finance fees because finance was not discussed. Does anyone know what could explain the additional $900 dollars or 18% of purchase price in fees?

Is this all dealer fees? Is this typical? I didn't pay this much on my truck or bike.

9. MossyHorns

MossyHorns

Many dealers list a cheap price, but then add freight and prep fees when you decide to purchase. I always ask for an OTD price.

shaffe48b likes this.
  10. shaffe48b

shaffe48b

Well I don't know what's wrong with this country. When a man can't get the toy he wants, when he wants it, for really cheap, then life sure is rough going. Just un-American:D

Both those king quads I think the fees are sky high. One dealer won't even tell me what it is. Same old story instead of telling me what it is he tells me there's only one left (always is) and how busy he is selling left and right. So I told him no problem because I'm really busy too shopping other dealers and I only need one machine. No response.

Well I found a dealer that claims not to charge freight and prep fees. Their prices are listed for both sportsmans and kodiaks and they aren't that bad. Might be one of thoseo_O.

Superhik and sureshot006 like this.
  11. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

My last ATV purchase was for a Honda Foreman with 436 miles. It has power steering upgraded tires and aluminum wheels. $4,700 out the door. It was a repo so I did not get the title about a month after I took possession. It had some fender scratches but everything else was straight. I did change all the filters and lube throughout. So far no issues 1-1/2 years later.

shaffe48b and sureshot006 like this.
  12. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

Power steering is great. Never knew I needed it until I rode one!

shaffe48b likes this.
  13. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Me too. It had nothing to do with the purchase but did add a little to the cost. Well worth it.

shaffe48b and sureshot006 like this.
  14. Skinner 2

Skinner 2

Test drive them all and see what you like best... After doing that for me it was hands down Can Am. I highly recommend the Can Am. Mine is the 450 Outlander No regrets what so ever.

shaffe48b likes this.
  15. shaffe48b

shaffe48b

I wonder if making your decision based on taking them for a short ride could get you into as much trouble as choosing a wife that way. Oh well, better I make that mistake with an atv.

Skinner 2 likes this.