Basic 4 wheeler. Recommendations?

Discussion in '4 Wheeling - ATVs' started by shaffe48b, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Matt V

Matt V

I spent several years looking for a used atv, ended up buying new. Quite a few 2 - 3 year old used 4 wheelers that were listed for more than new..... I ended up buying a new sportsman 570. I will say that there is a reason that the polaris are considerably cheaper than the honda or yamahas.... have had several issues with mine, 3 years old and around 500 miles on it. Been in to the shop 3 times already.

shaffe48b likes this.
  2. shaffe48b

shaffe48b

Yeah I'll probably have to move to the new market.

What I'll spend seems to be increasing. Pickings of new machines 5k or under is pretty slim.

3. shaffe48b

shaffe48b

I looked around here and there's a place that sells quite a few Chinese models but given events of the last month especially I won't support a Chinese company even if they were the best ever.

My motorcycle is a vtx cruiser made out of the marysville plant and I like this bike and like the internal drive shaft.

I wonder if the polaris 450 has a better reputation for reliability than the others. If I went accross state I might be able to get an ok deal on one compared to the rancher. And apparently the polaris has better features than the Honda. But what I read again and again is with the polaris in general you will make up the price with repairs.

4. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

everything honda makes is pretty good quality.

TheCrawdad, shaffe48b and JimP like this.
  5. Jimbo 09

Jimbo 09

If you end up going new look into a Kodak 450 or 700. We have one up north and it is a tank. It doesn’t have the bells and whistles of the more expensive ones but they are Only around 7k with EFI and 4wd. Hard to beat the reliability, we still have a big bear that was bought new in 94.

shaffe48b likes this.
  6. sureshot006

I would suggest 500 cc or less for your needs. Larger heavier machines don't seem worth it for the majority of uses.

shaffe48b and JimP like this.
  7. Matt V

Matt V

shaffe48b and sureshot006 like this.
  8. shaffe48b

shaffe48b

How reliable is this august thing? Right now I can see that looking around you can find the Honda, polaris, or yamaha for 6-6.5 new in the 400s cc. I've found one polaris 450 for about 5k.

So is it that many dealers will drop their prices 1k as soon as august hits or is it mostly miss?

9. sureshot006

Not sure with the way people are buying up recreational products...

shaffe48b likes this.
  10. Waif

Waif

A friend runs Kawasaki's.
    A 750 Brute Force is more than you need. At least for putting with a dog.
    Such a quad should prevent you from needing to upgrade.
    Besides a couple of those he owns a Kawasaki Prairie 360.The older ones were 4x4.

At first I didn't think much of it, but it has proven it's worth multiple times in the U.P. in clay and more.
    No , it's not a tractor or race car .
    Enough to cruise and still have some grunt if you choose a path wisely/conservatively ,or don't go where you shouldn't.

Anyways , a 360 4x4 was on Craigslist last week (older=4x4) not beat up bad ect. for somewhere above half the price of new.Maybe a little more.

I've watched adds a while. Most desirable /real good quads with 4x4 are priced near enough new to consider new.
    Proper care and low mileage factor. And ya gotta ask yourself why someone would sell a good horse cheaper than what such a horse is worth ,sometimes. Sometimes always.

Patience can help.
    Buying a last years model new can knock some off a price point.
    Or it can relieve the seller of a last years model at a profit well beyond simply getting rid of it...
    Do your homework on comparisons and shop around.(That patience thing again.)
    If you will have a dealer service it , be mindfull of the dealers reputation. By sources beyond what the dealer tells you.
    And of course the dealers location.

Here's an example.
    No mention of miles or hours. And you'll want an idea of an average before it needs major service or pukes.
    Price already a little high unless it is factory mint or something. (It's not.) As a buyer I must state such.L.o.l.

https://www.fshy.net/used-ATVs-for-sale-price-45-61306.html

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  11. shaffe48b

shaffe48b

Well after looking, reading, and listening it's probably between the rancher 420 and kodiak 450. Sportsman 450 and can am 450 seem more geared towards people who want the extra performance to ride the trails at the possible expense of higher maintenance. But probably they would all work for me just fine if I really got a deal.

Looking down south in the state they have a better new inventory at least. When I visit home around the beginning of August I might just pounce.

Rich1028 and sureshot006 like this.
  12. Matt V

Matt V

That is a good point, I drive by 2 dealerships on my way home from work every day. They have very limited inventory, normally they have a bunch of side by sides lined up along the road, there is maybe a half dozen or so now. I purchased a Ranger a couple of months ago, I looked at several dealerships early this spring before COVID. They had tons of inventory sitting on their floor, pretty much any color or model that you wanted. When I went back to purchase, 2 of the dealerships didn't have any inventory of the model that I wanted and didn't know when they would be able to get any more in. I ended up buying at Babbit's in Muskegon, I would check there for prices before buying new. They seem to have the best prices that I have seen in MI.

13. Shoeman

Shoeman Mods

Don't hesitate to look at the older King Quads.

I had the 300. Locking 4 wheel low and that thing moved 5k boats around the yard

shaffe48b likes this.
  14. William H Bonney

William H Bonney

That's why I bought the Arctic Cat when I did, clearance, hitch, etc.
    Only issue was how HUGE that thing was!

shaffe48b likes this.
  15. shaffe48b

shaffe48b

Well found out first hand today when I called a good deal on craiglist and it was already sold less than two hours after the ad was posted.

As far as Arctic cat it seems their smallest 4x4 is over 500 cc and priced about the same as the 450cc ones I'm looking at. I really don't need a higher performance machine so unless there is a good reason to choose one over a honda or yamaha I'm going to say no.

I also know Honda atv tend to be manufactured here. I used to know an engineer that worked on their side by side.

sureshot006 likes this.