Basic 4 wheeler. Recommendations?

Discussion in '4 Wheeling - ATVs' started by shaffe48b, Jul 21, 2020.

1. shaffe48b

shaffe48b

I'm tired of getting my rear wheel ranger stuck on the trails. Going to buy a used 4 wheeler from a dealership probably in the 2010 range. Want it to be reliable but doesn't need horsepower or features. (Think budget). Simply needs to be able to carry me and a dog to hunting spots. If not for the dog, I'd just get a cycle.

2. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

3. JimP

JimP Hunter gatherer Premium Member

Formerly Rochester Hills, Finally! Wellston
    Honda TRX300, FourTrax IF YOU CAN FIND ONE FOR SALE, bullet proof.
    My 1999 can sit the last 2 months of winter and start in 3 cranks or less adjusting choke.
    Keep filters, oil, lube in good condition, SeaFoam in gas, disconnect battery for storage.

Trooper was always willing to ride, hopped on the seat waiting for me, then he had his box in front.
    Fun watching his ears flapping in the wind, and he'd look back with his jowls flapping as if to smile.
    Miss that guy.
    Troop4x4.jpg

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  4. rivers

rivers

What they said, hard to top a Honda.

shaffe48b likes this.
  5. Superhik

Superhik

I like my Polaris Sportsman 450. Built like a tank.

shaffe48b likes this.
  6. shaffe48b

shaffe48b

Well I think I overestimated the atv used market. Not many options or they are all sold at this point.

Any feelings on 2 vs 4 wheel drive? I'm seriously leaning to the 4. Might regret it if I don't. At least some 30 degree grades with soft sand I run into. And who knows there are so many atv trails in this area I might even find some other interesting spots.

7. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

The supply chain for new ATVs is tight which means the secondary market will also be. I’m always on the look out for a deal on toys. What’s you budget?

shaffe48b likes this.
  8. sureshot006

Don't even consider 2wd.

9. JimP

:yeahthat::yeahthat:
    Once on a long circle drive of about 16 miles, closing in towards camp a 1/4 mile of road had been destroyed by logging trucks. 12" to 18" deep clay mud and ruts. No way around, and not interested in going back, I hit the gears and gas. Mud flying like rooster tails from the wheels but she made it through. A bit of work with the power hose to clean out the nooks and crannies, but ok.

Rich1028, shaffe48b and sureshot006 like this.
  10. sureshot006

Also 2wd is nearly useless without chains on any kind of ice/snow.

11. JimP

I always used Kold Kutters. A screw with a sharp ridged head, they screw into the thick parts of the tread.
    I tried a couple on the ice boots too, they worked. Just don't walk in the kitchen with your boots still on, :(

[​IMG]

12. sureshot006

Lol ya. I use plain ol hex head screws in my ice fishing boots. Have been guilty of a step or 2 into the house. The sound tells you right away that you've already caused damage

shaffe48b and JimP like this.
  13. MossyHorns

MossyHorns

Keep in mind that Honda is not what it used to be and all manufacturers have their own problems. I still have my 1st ATV (86 Honda 200sx) that has never had any motor work done on it, but I also have a 2007 250ex with low hours that we just got done battling a leaky carb. The carb doesn't have a replaceable float seat, which I find very frustrating. Luckily I know a good mechanic who repaired the seat using a ball bearing trick or I would have had to buy a new carb. I also know someone who is trying to sell a 2012 Rancher 4x4 with only 350 miles, which has had it's share of problems (starter and fuel pump). I have been very satisfied with my 2017 Kawasaki Teryx, but their ATV lineup offers nothing in the 500 cc range.

Rich1028 and shaffe48b like this.
  14. Jimbo 09

Jimbo 09

I’d be looking for a Used Yamaha grizzly/Kodak or Polaris sportsman. Never had good luck with the Honda’s, they were always finicky.

shaffe48b likes this.
  15. baycountyhunter

baycountyhunter

I bought an arctic cat used 6 years ago a 2009 and it is still running good. Not sure about newer ATVs but the cats had high ground clearance and already had a reese hitch built into the frame that is better than adding one after. I've ridden it through my woods with downed ash everywhere and it has no trouble riding over the trees. Heavy and stable.

Rich1028 and shaffe48b like this.