Baseline Lake near Gobles Michigan off 40

Discussion in 'Warm Water Fishing Inland LP Lakes' started by Bigbass201, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Bigbass201

Bigbass201

2. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

There are some good fish in that lake, but in my experience pressure is high due to its ease of access. Good area to fish and surround lakes as well can be good

Bigbass201 likes this.

3. Scout 2

Scout 2 Premium Member

When I lived down there I use to fish it a couple times a year. Some times got a few nothing of any size. One of my BIL's fishes it a lot for specks and he does good on them in the spring. You might want to try the other lake back toward Allegan from baseline. There are some very large bass in it and some real nice gills

Bigbass201 likes this.
  4. Bigbass201

Bigbass201

I know they just posted a report from Miner lake. I doubt it was that one. They caught a ton of bass, but not much size.

Thanks for the information guys.

5. jimbo

jimbo

it is a pretty lake. Ive been thinking of kayaking there.
    Ive never fished it, Ive always thought of it as more of a partying/ ski lake.
    I know a couple guys that live out there and they say fishing is avg.
    They tell me the ice never gets that good out there, so never ice fished either.
    But ya, its a nice size lake, bound to have nice fish in it

Bigbass201 likes this.
  6. Scout 2

Scout 2 Premium Member

That is my thoughts on it also. A lot of boat traffic in the summer. I use to ice fish it a lot on first ice straight out from the boat landing. Later years the ice anywhere down there was to iffy for me. I use to fish emersion every chance I got for gills. Pike lake is the other lake and it is a clearlake the gills out of there are a light blue color. I got one on the fly rod that was 10 1/2 inches long. Back in th 60's we almost got wiped out on there when a tornado hit south of there. We saw it go over a we sat under the big willow tree that use to be on the south side of the lake. Jimbo those flies you sent me work great on a certain small lake here

jimbo and Bigbass201 like this.
  7. Scout 2

Scout 2 Premium Member

Mine Lake is a big lake and like any lake you have to know where to fish it at certain times of the year. I have taken a lot o f fish from it over the years but I knew someone who fished it everyday. I speared a 15 lb pike out of it years ago and could get gills any time I wanted but many times they were small unless it was Aug or spring around bedding season. I fished it a couple times with a guy from work for bass and he caught a nice one but they mostly ran 12 to 15 inches. For those go across the main lake and fish the reeds on the east side of the lake and up in the north bay. North bay has ome big weed beds and I have seen them around these

Bigbass201 likes this.
  8. Bigbass201

Bigbass201

Thanks for all that great information. Much appreciated.

9. jimbo

jimbo

Scout 2 likes this.
  10. Scout 2

Scout 2 Premium Member

That area around Baseline is loaded with lakes. There is Eagle , Muskrat, Clar Lke, Emerson in just a short distance from there but some of them have no landing on them.. Eagle and Muskrat does have a public landing. There are many more but most of those are private. One more you may want to checkout is Duck Lake. I got a lot of gills out of there over the years and it use to have some monster pike in it

jimbo and Bigbass201 like this.
  11. Pelican257R

Pelican257R

My two cents.
    I live on Baseline Lake, and get more satisfaction from watching the googans, than fishing water I can see .
    Lake is heavily treated with weed killer, and is the worse for it, as to fish habitat
    If I want to fish,I'll go a couple miles away to any other lake to do it.
    If you want more info, PM me

Fool'em, Bigbass201 and Scout 2 like this.
  12. Bigbass201

Bigbass201

I wish the DNR would do more research on the effects of the weed treatments in these lakes. It definitely affects the fishing when you take away the habitat of the smaller food sources that feeder the larger fish.

jimbo and Sparky23 like this.
  13. Sparky23

Sparky23 Banned

Weedkill has murdered most of the lakes in that area. As well as most of sw Michigan

Bigbass201 and jimbo like this.
  14. Scout 2

Scout 2 Premium Member

There was a report that was done up here about Higgins and I think HL was included. It was posted on FB a while back. They seem to be very critical of the weed kill off from what I read. One lake I use to fish was killed off and it was a good lake even after the weed kill. But after repeated years of this it went down hill fast. Now you seldom see anyone fishing on iit during the summer as the weeds are gone. Last time I was there fishfinder looked like desert on the bottom. Now I saw that it was sprayed again this week. From what I read in the report the DNR has very little say in the spraying

Sparky23 and Bigbass201 like this.
  15. jimbo

jimbo

I know we’re taking this off us just with the weed kill thing, but here we go.
    Why do they do it to all these lakes. It’s for skiing I think. Let people ski in the darn middle of the lakes where it deep like they did in the 70 & 80s. Let the weeds grow around the perimeter. No body needs to ski and motor around 50 yrs for shore.
    If the weeds are really bad in certain lakes, couldn’t they just kill weed from each dock straight out to deeper water?
    Finding summer fish used to be easier when I was young. Find a weed bed going into deep water and fish there.

Sent from my iPad using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Scout 2 likes this.