Bankes Goliath & thru hull transducer

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by wgorby, Apr 17, 2017.

1. wgorby

wgorby

[​IMG]

So I have a buddy who bought one of these boats last year (21' Bankes Goliath)....mostly for duck hunting...but wants to use it for fishing as well. He had a Lowrance Elite 7 Chirp installed with a thru hull transducer...he is complaining about lots of interference in traditional 2d and the downscan is basically unreadable. The bow of the boat is Kevlar reinforced but the stern is not (where the ducer is currently mounted). Does anyone have experience in thru hull ducer mounting/placement/operation. I told him that we could get on water and play with it, adjust the frequencies etc. (which he said he already did, with nothing working better)...but if he wanted clarity to simply switch to a traditional exterior stern mounted ducer. Thoughts?

2. Stand By

Stand By

What model transducer? Is the built in tilt angle.correct.for the deadrise? is it getting clean water? I/E, no through hulls or strakes/steps ahead of it disrupting the water? Prop wash disrupting? Post some pictures.

3. Bomba

Bomba Premium Member

you having some issue?

4. wgorby

wgorby

Like I said boat is a buddy's....Transducer is a thru hull so it's not in the water at all, boat is not moving and screen is cluttered...worse when moving. Just looking to see if anyone had experience with thru hull ducers.

5. Cork Dust

Cork Dust

There is a sculpted cutaway where the stern chine would be at the transom/hull junction on these boats to minimize chop when back trolling or running stern first into waves when picking-up decoys. This is the main reason that Bankes encourages mounting the transducers as thru-hulls, since mouting a transducer in traditional fashion on the transom at the base still would exposed the signal to substantial turbulence and cavitation bubbles, negating it ability to function when the boat is running on plane.

Has he talked to Michael to discuss options? I suspect it is a unit specific issue, since Bankes has built multiple hulls using this approach and mounted many units that work, post boat build.

6. Stand By

Stand By

So if not in the water at all, are you referring a shoot-through-hull, I/e in-hull transducer? If so the hull would need to be solid glass, no core material to shoot through. Otherwise, installers will cutaway the inside layer and core material in the immediate area and refill with solid glass. A thru hull requires drilling all the way through and installing from below. Just like a transom install, any chine, scupper, etc. in it's upstream path will cause turbulance that may interfere. Also, you want to run the power cable independent of any other cables in the hull.

7. Cork Dust

Cork Dust

Bankes mounts transducers during the hull lay-up as a through-hull unit, not a shoot-through.