close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

*** BAND THREAD 2016-17 ***

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by Branta, Sep 12, 2016.

1. cronkdre

cronkdre

Banded 5 miles from where I shot it 23 years ago. When I reported it the site gave me a warning saying The band is unusually old and to recheck my numbers. Once I confirmed numbers they contacted me to send pics of the bird and band and wanted me to give them more info. I wish I took better pics, I knew it was old but just figured it was another band and popped it off and the bird went into the sausage pile.

2. Wallywarrior

Wallywarrior

Not a waterfowl hunter but follow the threads. Congrats on that bird. Just nuts to think that bird survived that long.

Any idea on life expectancy in general?

**Googled it. Looks like ten to twenty four years. At 23 years, that bird had to be one of the oldest birds out there. Again, congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. cronkdre

cronkdre

I have no idea how often this list is updated... But this bird would be the 6th or 7th oldest goose shot and recorded according to the USGS. (I'm waiting on a call from them to get more info, but I pulled the list off of the website)
    ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1487649426.858774.jpg

4. Wallywarrior

Wallywarrior

Would have been a cool trophy. At least you still have the band.

The top bird on that list was 33 years old. That is incredible. How many times must these birds have escaped harm or gotten lucky in their lives to get to that age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. hammerdown

hammerdown

ready to start the new year off with a few that's a cool post cronkdre of the ages

Bertslash likes this.
  6. sputty

sputty

Shot a Drake Mallard Maumee Bay Area .. Had #s and SCWA on it. Turns out it was banded in South Carolina.
    Shot a Blackduck Saginaw Bay Area that was banded in Tennesee.
    Shot a Drake Mallard Northern Ohio banded in Ontario
    Maybe 8 more bands on ducks and geese banded somewhat locally.