close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ball park attendance

Discussion in 'Detroit Tigers' started by Oldgrandman, Apr 12, 2018.

1. B.Jarvinen

B.Jarvinen

I wish I lived closer to Chicago and had some free time to take advantage of that. I would have gone to one of those games and sat right behind Home Plate, like where Marlins Mans always sits in the World Series. Where you can call the balls and strikes yourself. It is the most majestic view of the game you have ever seen; doesn't matter who is playing.

2. Southsider1

Southsider1

That only happens on the southside- Cubs sell out. Sad thing is it’s a nice ballpark but the neighborhood keeps people away. Neighborhood is what makes Wrigley.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

3. greelhappy

greelhappy

I always get a giggle when I see an empty stadium. I think that if Joe fan was the only person in the stadium, and he had ticket no. row L, seat 6, he would be sitting in row L,seat 6. Check out a empty stadium sometime, there is always that guy sitting all by his lonesome, when he could be sitting anywhere in the place except the dug out. giggle, giggle. P.S. It is cold, rainy and snow covered where I live.......I gotta do something.

4. brewster

brewster

I agree with most of this, not the live closer to Chicago part though.

5. brewster

brewster

I was just talking Tiger ball, weather and attendance with some friends. My thought is that they build some good will this summer when they have to do double headers and just let fans buy a ticket and come and go for both games of the double header.

That may people to the ball park and the downtown area and let families have a great day.

It's not like they are going to have a high attendance year so the seats may very well be empty.

Just an idea.

6. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

I no longer attend Tiger games, it's too expensive. So are Wings and Lions games. It not worth the money.

IF I go to a ball game I go down to Toledo and see the Mud Hens.

Cat Power likes this.
  7. brewster

brewster

I know what you mean, we live out-state so you have to add in the drive and maybe a night at a hotel.

We've had friends that wanted to see a game at COPA, not big fans, just want to see a game. They also wanted to walk around and maybe hit bars or other downtown places.
    A day/night or back to back dbl header, where you could walk into either or both games, would be great for seeing the town and watching some baseball.

8. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

MLB plays too many games. Go back to the 154 game schedule.

L & O

kingfisher 11 likes this.
  9. Namrock

Namrock

Wow! I guess bad baseball + crappy weather conditions = horrible attendance.
    Shoot, we might get that many people @ our boy's little league games this summer.

10. brewster

brewster

I agree, to shorten the regular season, not sure on how the numbers work out for games and keep things equal.

The players need days off during the season, I don't think it's good baseball now or when it get bad weather in the fall, it's not good baseball.

I know the players don't like dbl headers but, if it's a four game series, 4 games in 3 days,with a day off before and after, the players may accept that in the CBA.

11. UnknwnBanditRowdyTucoRojo

UnknwnBanditRowdyTucoRojo

I agree, face-values of tickets are mostly insane and I don't go to many games anymore myself but there are ways...
    • Find a group, like a VFW or Moose Lodge, that rents a bus and gets a 100 tickets or so to sell - can go to a game for $10 and don't have to drive, only enjoy the ride and a few ginger ales on the way
    • Just drive to the area you want to park and walk up to the stadium or theater. I've found there is almost always scalpers or another spectator selling a ticket / tickets for $5 or $10 for games, concerts, etc.

brewster likes this.
  12. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

I said 154 because that is what MLB played before expansion in the early 60's. If you followed baseball in '61 you will remember Roger Maris did not break Babe Ruth's record in 154 games but did hit 61 in 162 games so an asterisk was placed behind the number.

L & O

brewster likes this.
  13. B.Jarvinen

B.Jarvinen

Price said yesterday that in '68, the Tigers played 16 double-headers - as written into the schedule before the season started. He said the players were fine with that, "because we usually had Monday off"

14. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

The asterisk should be on babe ruth....setting those records before African americans were even allowed to play.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app