close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Baldwin Unit 2017

Discussion in 'MichiganBear.com' started by Welchman, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Welchman

Welchman

I'm thinking about the upcoming season in Baldwin and the possible impact of the proposed doubling of bear tags for the area.

Here's my situation: I have 13 points currently and planned to wait to draw my bear tag in a year or two when I retire. I own a nice chunk of property in the area and did a trial run on baiting last year; we drew three different bears to the bait with mostly daytime visits. I had planned to do a similar baiting operation without hunting this coming fall and then hunt next year when I have more time. At nearly 60, I'm figuring that this will be my last tag for the Baldwin area.

Now, with the proposal to raise the tag numbers from 80 to 156, I feel like I might be smart to draw my tag this year, before this season reduces bear numbers. I'd be interested to hear folks' thoughts on this. How do you think the proposed increase in tags is going to impact the hunting this year and the next couple of years? Will 80 additional tags change the area's hunting?

Thanks for your input.

2. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Historically the success rate is just under 60% in Baldwin. Between now and the time you retire there will be less bears but there will still be plenty left to fill a tag it just might take a little longer.
    ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1483915856.346411.jpg

3. MAP1

MAP1

Hunt this year....baldwin is a big area but 76 extra tags could affect trophy potential slightly in the future....if your in decent shape now you will still be able to get around in your mid 70's so you may have another hunt in you...

4. Musket

Musket Premium Member

I have no idea of the numbers of bears in the Baldwin Unit. I hear it is very good. However, when they doubled the number of tags in the Bergland Unit back in 2008, it only took a couple of seasons to notice a considerable drop in bear numbers. It is still that way today. Having seen over the years what happened there, I don't think I would wait and see how it plays out for that unit if I was holding 13 points. Not a chance in hell.

Rooster Cogburn likes this.
  5. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

It all depends on how bad you want to go bear hunting. There are a lot of bears around here that's for sure.

6. road trips

road trips

I have 14 points too and was going to wait until 2018. Hmm