close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Baldwin Help

Discussion in 'MichiganBear.com' started by dhosera, Sep 5, 2017.

1. dhosera

dhosera

We drew a tag for the Baldwin unit and have (2) bait sites out since the 17th focusing around the Manistee area. We honestly thought it'd be game on but boy were we wrong. One site FINALLY got hit but only by a smallish bear. Other has not been hit at all. Thinking of a back-up plan C but figured I'd toss it out here to this group if anyone has a problem bear they wouldn't mind us attempting to bait. We are getting pretty nervous as the date quickly approaches.
    Thank you in advance!!

2. Yohann

Yohann

We have a similar situation in the red oak unit. 3 of us drew tags, we set 6 bait sites up on the 17th and as of last weekend only had 2 active baits, one with only a sow and a cub. So I know the feeling. We ended up traveling an hour north to set 2 more baits and then back south west to set an additional two baits. Will see this weekend if we had any takers.
    Maybe you can find a nuisance bear to set up on but in the meantime get as many good smells as possible on your baits. Good luck!!

3. sureshot006

sureshot006

That's strange. Heard the Baldwin unit is just completely overrun with bear... Only slight sarcasm.

Last year I had bear on camera 2nd night, and a LOT of bear visiting the bait regularly, including a few good ones. This year, my brother is hunting and it took a week for them to find it, and so far after 2 full weeks he has only 3 different bear, all on the smaller side. Hoping they'll spread the scent and help attract others.

All is not lost! Maybe try a new area. Good luck!

4. dkamphouse

dkamphouse

I can help out in both Baldwin and Redoak.. Give me a call (231) 920-2058

SteelDealer316 and jr28schalm like this.
  5. srconnell22

srconnell22

You guys have waited 13+ years for this tag. This guy is worth his weight in gold when it comes to killing big bear in the Baldwin unit. Call him.

6. dhosera

dhosera

Thanks for the heads up!

7. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

I would talk to a biologist at local dnr station. They will give yo u sound advice. Ask to see the kill map. They put a pin on the map for each bear taken each year. You will see very quickly how the bears travel in your area. It will be obvious when you see the map where they travel. Then find state land in those travel corridors.

Winterover likes this.
  8. Yohann

Yohann

Thanks for the offer Dkamp. Our baits looked much better this weekend. We have 4 huntable bait sites now. 1 bait took over two weeks to get hit. I'm going to hold on to your number tho.

dkamphouse and BVW like this.
  9. dkamphouse

dkamphouse

Not too late yet for anyone with a Baldwin tag still got a few spots open this week.. Baits are getting pounded with some nice bear!!

Attached Files:

WMU05, MISTURN3, Firefighter and 2 others like this.
  10. Sprytle

Sprytle Premium Member

Very Nice Bears dk!!!

dkamphouse likes this.
  11. DoninNe

DoninNe

My baits went pretty much inactive. Two weeks ago I had 3 different shooters coming into the baits in daylight. Over the last week only 2 pictures of bears on camera and both at night. No idea what changed.

12. dkamphouse

dkamphouse

Same thing happens every yr about this time bear like to switch to natural food (acorns, beechnuts, apples etc..) there patterns change with more people in the woods ands lots more feed with more deer baits out there now..
    Again I'm a phone call away from you harvesting a bear don't wait another 13 yrs for a tag!! I might not be good a lot of things but killing bear I Am!!

srconnell22, BVW and Firefighter like this.
  13. Have14me

Have14me

He is one of the best.

dkamphouse likes this.