close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Baldwin Bear tags

Discussion in 'MichiganBear.com' started by love to hunt, Feb 12, 2017.

1. love to hunt

love to hunt

With the talk of the bear tags being doubled this year how many years do you think it will reduce the waiting to draw a tag?

2. Rooster Cogburn

Rooster Cogburn

The real question on the increase in kill tags is...how long will it take before bears are over harvested.

giver108 likes this.

3. plugger

plugger Premium Member

After what the bears did to my corn last year, I hope soon.

FullQuiver likes this.
  4. multibeard

multibeard Premium Member

Mike I have been waiting for a farmer to talk about bear damage in corn. Bear damage makes coon damage look pretty minor. Did they flatten it by rolling in it like they did on the farm I hunted on in the UP. It seemed like they walked straddle of a row to wipe there butts on the way out of the field.

On nice thing about bear droppings after they have feed in corn fields. It was easy to spot as it was bright yellow.

I hope it shortens the time until I can draw a permit so I do not have to hunt out of a wheel chair.

stickbow shooter likes this.
  5. plugger

plugger Premium Member

The bears make big circles of flattened corn and seem to pile the stalks up in the middle some. I did not even realize the damage until we combined. The bears go into the field and leave the outside standing, unlike everything else that starts at he edge and works inward. Having bears around sounds good until you have to live with them. They can be very destructive and adapt to human presence very quickly. Home owners in the Ruby Creek area have had a lot of nuisance problems.

6. Welchman

Welchman

The doubling of tag numbers in the Baldwin unit will definitely reduce the number of points required for a draw, but by how much is a math question that's well above the C I got in high school algebra.

The only thing I know for sure is that I have 13 points and I am going to draw a tag this season, while bear numbers are high.

Hunting18 likes this.
  7. Ford 800

Ford 800

At one time I thought it would be "cool" to have bears in the Baldwin Unit. Well, after this past deer season, my "wish" became true. I only bait one of my stands and that stand became void of deer with bear hitting it constantly and spooking deer out of that area. Now I understand what UP hunters face with wolves being around.

jr28schalm likes this.
  8. Newaygo1

Newaygo1

Again some talk like they know something about bears and hunting them... A friend got a License for Baldwin last year and we has several bears on our game cameras for several years. He started baiting the first day he could and bait days and had No Bears from that day till the 3rd from the last day to hunt. He found someone and his baited site and only saw one Bear. So again it is nothing like baiting Deer as to baiting bears. And then with the Hounds practicing when a hunter is baiting they run off bears in the area is what my friend came to realize. I was at the property and had 2 Trucks with hounds running the Federal Forest next the property on a weekend was surprised he saw no bears and we got no images of bears from the time you are allowed to bait for bears till the end of September... He was sure he would at least see a Bear after 14 Points He won't Bear Hunt Again even if it was down to 10 points he would be well over 70 years old... he thought like others he had a GOOD Chance and he was disappointed so again using a Guide Service would be a better Chance of seeing a Bear and possible taking one! I have 15 Points I doubt I will ever use them, I cannot take off 10 days to hunt plus many days baiting to see nothing as he did. This is the second time he hunted Bear once in the UP and it was prior to the Point System and once after and no bear either time... He also learn that others involved in Bear Hunting all Know each other in the area aware of each other and where they are Hunting!
    It is nothing close to deer hunting and seeing deer it is just the opposite if you do see a Bear talk he is you will surely see bears last year we saw few bears from our game cameras and we had apples on the trees which they are always hitting My friend had raccoons and skunks on his bait but no bears...

Bear Hunting is different unless you are in to Bear Hunting which some are not!
    Newaygo1

9. otterc

otterc

So true -bear hunting is way different than deer hunting. I feel you have to spend way more time getting to know your quarry. As for dogs interrupting a hunt, that is totally untrue. A few years ago I was baiting a stand for my son at 2:30. I could hear a few dogs running a few hundred yards from the stand. I baited and than talked to the hunters. They were trying to catch up since the dogs had lost the trail. When I dropped my son off at 4:00 the dogs and hunters were no where in sight. At 6:50 that night he shot his bear.

10. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

I've found it's much easier to bait bear where they are and not where you want them to be.

11. kstout

kstout

I think there were about 2100 that put in last year for 80 permits. So if just those people continued to apply that would cut the time down from 26 years, to 14 years to get through all of them. I'm sure that more will put in now thinking it will be easier, but I think in the long run it will still take 14 years or more to draw, if your starting this year with 1 or 2 points.

12. Uncle Boopoo

Uncle Boopoo

I've been going up to Carr since 88' and had never saw one until last season. Then I had 2 different sightings in the same year! Neighbors were getting a lot of different bears on bait last year too! There's definitely more of them around now. Makes me want to carry a noise maker when I'm bow hunting!

13. plugger

plugger Premium Member

I carry a .40 caliber noise maker when bow hunting.

Hunting18 and Uncle Boopoo like this.
  14. MISTURN3

MISTURN3

Rumor has it they are splitting up the Baldwin region a little bit somehow......too many bears in places where people aren't hunting....looking forward to my crack at em either this or next year...12 points now....been wreaking havoc on our planted deer fields last couple years......