Baiting on public land

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Randall Stevens, Sep 30, 2020.

1. NbyNW

NbyNW

After reading these forums I am glad to say I became aware baiting is illegal this year. It’s too bad, last year bait rally did me good, was almost like the neighbors weren’t baiting for the first time and the deer really hit my property up.
    I’ve been trying the throw and grow method this year too, with good success for some crops. The rye and clover came in real nice, but the corn seems to be eaten up before it germinates. It doesn’t matter when I put it out, rain or shine it’s gone. I figured if I put out some other foods as detractors it may give the corn time to grow, but so far the carrots and sugar beets aren’t slowing down the feeding on the corn seed. Figure my next bet might be to put a broadcast seeder to better spread the seed and give me a leg up.
    Read something about soil tests too, mine came back low on minerals so I put a few mineral blocks out to hopefully help the soil quality.
    Really think I’m getting the hang of this food plot thing.

2. Z the fish

Z the fish

A friend and I were in line at a store up north in an area where baiting was not allowed. This guy in front of us was holding a bag of apples he was going to purchase. He looked back at us and we glanced at his bag of apples and then back to his face. And he says "My wife is baking a pie". Really got a chuckle out of that statement.

3. Chessieman

Chessieman

I heard if you hang a bunch of Carrots in the trees they will seed the field out next year and grow naturally!

NbyNW and November Sunrise like this.
  4. Lumberman

Lumberman Premium Member

So.....

Randall who graduated from Detroit Edison the year before it opened at the young age of 39 went to the gas station saw some bait and realized baiting was legal again.

Then went out and saw a giant buck while screwing in his tree steps on public land.

Then sharted in his pants.

5. motdean

motdean

I am hoping that you guys will at least take one question in this thread seriously.

Legal or illegal?
    upload_2020-10-1_5-56-59.png

....asking for a friend.

6. Captain of the 4-C's

Captain of the 4-C's Premium Member

Only legal on Halloween - OK so not so serious. I know of a guy that used left over donuts from his shop to bait deer - he claims the deer loved them.

7. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

Did you pick up some Busch Lite too? :)

8. MichiFishy

MichiFishy

I believe it's included in the Public Land Baiter Starter Package. Sac of corn and beets, case of Busch and your choice of a tin of Grizzly or pack of Marlboros.

9. triplelunger

triplelunger

Easy, bro! You're hitting close to home here.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

10. brookie1

brookie1

I normally see natural light cans hanging in trees to mark blood trails in my area, so they need to offer a choice of beers with that package.

11. triplelunger

triplelunger

That's why I buy the blaze orange Busch cans.
    12 pack usually covers the average tracking distance. I pull out the full buschell on gut shots, though.

12. LITTLECLEO

LITTLECLEO

November Sunrise and motdean like this.
  13. HUBBHUNTER

HUBBHUNTER

Wonder if Randall found his stand this morning. Lol The smart guys leave a trail of corn kernels to follow.

14. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

Fairy tale 101. Leaving a bread crumb trail doesn't work. Corn is bright yellow, readily available and has a long shelf life. 50lb bag will get you a 100 feet i bet. Bet if Hansel and Grettle used corn they wouldn't have become lost in the woods

HUBBHUNTER likes this.
  15. Walt Donaldson

Walt Donaldson

Yellow portion is illegal, I usually bite that part off and toss the rest.