Baitcaster Rod

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by adam bomb, Apr 8, 2019.

1. jd4223

jd4223

With the new baitcasters out there,backlashes are pretty much eliminated if you adjust the reel according to the weight you're casting. Using the spool tension knob on the side of the reel allows you to fine tune the reel to virtually end backlashes. The magnetic drag is almost not needed depending on the weight of lure being cast. I set the magnetic drag as low as possible then use the spool tension knob to fine tune the speed of the spool. Just try not to whip the lure out there like you would on a spinning reel. More of a lob cast. The more weight used the farther and easier it is to cast. If you can BC cast a centerpin,then using a baitcast reel is even easier.

eggfly likes this.
  2. jd4223

jd4223

Additional:Most baitcast reels in the early days required thumb pressure to stop/slowdown the spool to prevent backlashes. Then the reels were equipped with magnetic drag so you didn't have to train your thumb when casting. Now the newer reels have better tension control knobs on the reel to fine tune the spool speed based on the weight of lure being cast. The tension knob control is almost infinite for lure weight. 1 of the best tips I can give when learning to cast,is to turn your wrist down so the side of the reel is facing to the ground(example,if you cast right handed,the reel handle will be facing up.If you cast left handed,the reel handle will be facing down.) This also helps to eliminate backlashes. Good luck.

3. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

Thanks for the tips - now as a question for float fishing... if you are trying to get a drag free drift freespooling similar to a centerpin, doe that change how you would want to adjust the reel settings? I imagine you would want everything wide open?

4. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

I keep the spool tension adjusted so that it just barely moves side to side if at all and the magnetic brake adjusted fairly heavy for 10 gm floats and above. These settings allow for a fully free drift and rarely do I get backlashes on the reel. As I said before, with lighter weight and short distance casts you still have to thumb it or be prepared for a small bird nest.
    One thing to keep in mind is that mono will normally come out of a bird nest much easier than if you are using a braid.

tincanary likes this.
  5. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

tincanary likes this.
  6. tincanary

tincanary

Floating and drifting isn't hard at all with a baitcaster. Throw your bait in and slowly back off the tension knob until it starts going downstream and that's it. The only time I've ever gotten a backlash was when I had the tension knob backed way off from the get go. Keep in mind though, I usually don't fish with any of these newer reels with all the various cutting edge braking systems. Most of my reels have no brakes and I rely solely on my thumb and spool tension adjustments.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  7. tincanary

tincanary

Sounds like me lol. I'm not one to normally shop rods over $100. Sure they're nice, but I can't justify the cost for the marginal benefit. Never kept me from hooking up. Some of the most proficient fishermen I know use nothing but Ugly Stiks.

jd4223 likes this.
  8. maizen

maizen

I use a raven im6 11'6 spiral and a raven Rpx 11'6 spiral or my nfc 13' custom spiral 1304.my reels of choice are Diawa tatula and zillionaire both loaded with nanofil and I have a Citrix loaded with fine float if it's below 28 degrees