Baitcaster Rod

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by adam bomb, Apr 8, 2019.

1. adam bomb

adam bomb

I know not Centerpin but know some guys on here must run both. Just curious if anyone has a recommendation on a baitcaster rod they like for float fishing? I have a 9’6” Lamiglas currently paired with a Abu Garcia Revo XS, but would like to go to a longer. Thank you for any insight.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

2. tincanary

tincanary

Okuma has a 10'6" SST rod for drift/float fishing. I use the 9'6" variant for floating with an Abu Pro Max 3600, not ideal but it gets the job done. Nice rod though, IM8 graphite blank, decently light, and pretty dang sensitive. If you're happy with your Lamiglas, I'm sure they make a model suitable for your purpose.

3. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

My BC is a CTS 12' 6-10# paired with a Diawa Tutula which is awesome to use. I started with a AG Revo, but really like the air brake system on the Tutula now.
    I like the longer length, so feel that 10.5 - 12' is the best choice, a friend has the Okuma 10.5' SST mentioned above and is pleased with it. You might check with Dave at Nova rods, I think he is building some BC rods now.

adam bomb likes this.
  4. ChromeDome69

ChromeDome69

Check out Edge rods, 11'3 6-15. Paired the Okuma Citrix 364. Love it!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    adam bomb likes this.
  5. adam bomb

adam bomb

6. Chromedoggy

Chromedoggy Premium Member

Raven Im6 11’6 spiral wrap

adam bomb likes this.
  7. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

Good choice for a factory rod from what I have heard about it.

adam bomb likes this.
  8. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

10'6 Loomis med/heavy with a Calcutta 201dc

9. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

Well I’m just getting into it with focus for Kings and maybe summer runs, as well as taking it on my annual trip out west for steel. so far I’ve picked up my reel now just gotta build the rod. Leaning towards spiral wrapping a 10-17 lami. Picked up the Daiwa tatula 200HSL. seems like a very slick reel!

Treven and flyrodder46 like this.
  10. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

The Lamiglas 10-17 would be a great build for the west coast and Salmon on our west side rivers, paired with that reel you will have a awesome set up. My reel is the 103 sv tws hsl, which is the little brother to yours and I love using it on my spiral wrapped 6-10 CTS, a great combination.

11. tincanary

tincanary

The Tatula is a great reel. I'd definitely get one if I didn't have tons of Swedish made Pro Maxes and Black Maxes. Those reels never give up the ghost. The ones I regularly fish steel with are over 25 years old.

12. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

Great to hear the good feedback on the reel selection!

I have the 10-17 built into a centerpin setup already - it performs great for kings, summers, and the west coast steel. I just wanted to get into the bc side of life to keep skein junk out of my Milner, with the added benefit of winching them in.... Also it’d be nice to give the body a break now and then on the trip out west with a tad more effortless bc casting.... now who knows I might try it and sell the whole thing haha! I am the bird nest king the few times I’ve ran baitcasters.

tincanary likes this.
  13. tincanary

tincanary

The best advice I can give you, practice. Spool up some 12lb or 15lb Big Game mono. Backlashes are far easier to remove with mono than they are braid. Braid is far too costly to practice with and the birdnests can be so bad that you'll have to remove a considerable amount of line and throw it away. Put a bucket in the yard and tie on a 3/8oz weight or practice plug and see if you can get it in the bucket. You don't want to whip it like you would a spinning reel. Use your whole arm in a nice fluid motion. Picture it like a golf swing, follow through. You'll get the hang of it. Don't concern yourself so much with distance, but instead focus on accuracy. When you try and muscle it out there is when you have the potential to backlash if you have an untrained thumb.

14. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

That is the one reason I opted for the Tutula SV, with the air brake system as long as you make longer casts there is not a problem with bird nests, and the only time I have a little backlash is when I have light floats on with short 20' casts. Have fun with your new toy Adam, I am sure you will enjoy the change of pace once in a while.

15. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

Nice thanks for the pointers guys! I do appreciate it! Hopefully it won’t be too painful of a process!