close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bait help

Discussion in 'MichiganBear.com' started by SWMbruiser, Aug 1, 2017.

1. SWMbruiser

SWMbruiser

Here's my scenario, I am not a seasoned bear Hunter. My family and I are hunting first season Baraga. Plan is to go up the labor day weekend and start our bait sites. Then return the 9th to refresh and start hunting the 10th. I went and bought about 150 pounds of berry granola. 5 lbs of icing, probably 30lbs of fruit filling and a few other things. My family has never used much sweets. Always used tossed meat/ carcasses many years back and they complained about the smell and just general grossness of it all. So I bought the sweets. They plan in still using mostly meat that is old from the freezer. I also have quite a bit of old meat in the freezer that could really help increase my volume of available bait and also I just wouldn't mind getting rid of old meat. I have heard some guys love rotting meat and some guys say bears don't like it. What's your take on what a good strategy would be for me to use both meat and sweets. I figured I would open with sweets and a honey burn. Then while up hunting put the meat out in the hopes they are hitting it frequently enough that the meat won't go awful rancid and Chase me out and also stretch my sweet supply. How much bait do you guys like to use? Any tips or advise would be appreciated.

2. sourdough44

sourdough44

Once you have Bears coming in regularly, use the meat. This way it won't have a chance to rot, get rancid, & stink. Keep it frozen until used, put it out frozen even.

Nothing wrong with 15 year old frozen meat. I wouldn't use rotten meat or carcasses. Are we wolf hunting??

Nostromo likes this.

3. MISTURN3

MISTURN3

i would consider going up earlier (if multiple trips are possible) to get bait sites rolling......we used to go up every other weekend when we hunted baraga unit and started 3 baits per hunter....based on trail timers/cams - we knew which were hotter so when ready to hunt - concentrated on them....either way - good luck!!

Nostromo and Sprytle like this.
  4. SWMbruiser

SWMbruiser

How much bait did you like to place each time?

5. MISTURN3

MISTURN3

we dug holes, used stumps, etc..critters got some i am sure but we made it difficult to move logs, etc.....we would put a couple/three 5 gallon buckets maybe each site....something to keep them coming in for a bit until we could get back up there......mainly sweets, breads, etc. after a couple trips - process of elimination showed which ones we needed to keep and others we let go.......

6. SWMbruiser

SWMbruiser

How far apart did you try to set each bait? We have 3 guys. So 9 baits could be spread out over some ways I would imagine

7. MISTURN3

MISTURN3

Yes - we hunted around L'anse area and stayed at the baraga campground right across from Lake Superior......our sites were anywhere from 3-10 miles apart.......lots of two tracks to drive down, etc. tried to stay off main ones (even beat down two tracks) figuring they were getting traffic we didnt want.......when we baited in took us the better part of 4-5 hours each trip......tried to pick different areas as well (cover) some near a rock wall/cliff, another in cedar swamps, some "big woods" types.....just depended on what we liked/found There was restaurant - Hilltop?? that touted the worlds largest cinnamon roll?? pm me for some details if you want specifics - hate to get someone complaining cause we were in their "area" lol

8. SWMbruiser

SWMbruiser

No it's cool, thanks for the info. We have a general area picked already. My family has had success there in the past. But they are not what I would call serious bear hunters anymore. Getting kind of lazy. Just want to make sure I am doing it right, and not the easy way

MISTURN3 likes this.
  9. Nostromo

Nostromo

A lot of good advice already given. I'd especially agree with not using rotten anything and starting meat when the baits are getting hit. (Which will be kind of tough with your schedule.) Some feel that switching up the bait after it's getting hit can turn off the bears. We've always used the same variety of baits and have never made a drastic change after the baits started.

Once the hunt starts I only put out a little of each kind of bait and make sure to have something like jam spread out on the trees or logs. Remember they usually come because of the scent and you only need them to stick around long enough to decide if they are a shooter. So, spraying something like anise, or liquid smoke each time to bait.

Good luck this season!

wildthing and MISTURN3 like this.
  10. sourdough44

sourdough44

Of course bears have favorite treats, but will eat most ANYTHING somewhat edible. Just the same that not all deer apples are created equal. They may linger a bit longer at that pile 2 miles away if your offerings are bland.

With the very best food, especially as we approach the 10th, your pile will be 1st one the 'hit list'.

11. Callinalldeer

Callinalldeer

Some older Bears have rotten teeth so sweets give them tooth pain. I had one old bear that would only drink fryer oil/ lard.

12. Joel/AK

Joel/AK

Never had much luck with meats. For us bears loved dogfood with a vanilla extract. We did use some chocolate. Best bait we ever tried was a moose skull surprisingly. Buddy froze his from the prior season and we hung it 12' or so up in a tree. Holy crap the bears were after that. We watched bears ape hanging off it, one actually bit onto it and just flailed and wouldn't let go. The tree was shredded and the ground around it was torn up. I don't know if it was the curiosity, challenge or what but those blackies loved it.

13. wildthing

wildthing

This isn't an original idea as I learned it from our Ontario bear guide a couple of years ago but its works very well and is very easy and inexpensive.

Caution: You can not use plastics or place bait above the ground on public land (and Commercial Forest Lands) in the state of Michigan but it is legal on private property.

This first photo is a bear bait from our Ontario hunt in 2015:

DSC04399.jpg

My wife drew a permit for the Carney area this year so I made up 3 of these for our property in Dickinson County:

IMG_0045.jpg

Deer, squirrels, birds etc may investigate the smell but they can not get into the bait bucket. Unfortunately, Raccoons can. I will say this though - once a bear shows up the coons have stayed away from the one bait they were hitting. Hopefully this will continue but don't know yet.

My wife bought large bags of popcorn and popped away. She adds the most inexpensive maple syrup knockoff she can buy, adds maybe 1/2 cup of sugar and a couple tablespoons of dry KoolAid. That is the basic bait however she will add things like leftover pancakes, bread, etc. Of course, she sprayed the area with both Anise and Liquid Smoke initially to attract bears and also put some bacon grease on and below the tree so the bears can spread a scent trail around when they leave the bait site.

DSC01590.jpg
    DSC01590.jpg

It doesn't take long for bears to show up if there are any in the area. Just waiting for a bigger one is what we are looking for. It is nice to see the lids are off when you pull up to check baits:

DSC01657.jpg

Here is BooBoo - Hoping to see his Grandpa soon. He appeared to be quite fond of this leftover blueberry pancake.

MFDC0089.jpg

In Ontario they hung the buckets so you could also use them to judge the size of the bear. If he has to look up or reach into the pail you pass him up. If his head stands above the pail and he reaches his head down to feed in the pail it is a shooter.

A buddy of mine also used popcorn on public land. He framed a 3'X3' box on the ground and covered it with a large piece of heavy steel and then placed a rock over that. He did get his archery bear on that bait.

You are definitely at a disadvantage if you can not be there to maintain the bait station. I would recommend trying to recruit somebody from the local area to keep your baits going.

Good luck.

shotgun12 and SMITTY1233 like this.
  14. Callinalldeer

Callinalldeer

As soon as moose season starts the bears get moose scraps until the season is over. My buddy is a butcher.