Bait caster used like a center pin

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by DCampbell, Jul 28, 2015.

1. RDR

RDR

Worms work great! ;)

Baitcasters are much easier to master than Centerpins. The benefits outweigh the negatives. They are more efficient for casting, retrieving, fishing in the wind, rain and they are less likely to act up than a Float Reel in the cold weather we experience around the Great Lakes.....

I've got plenty of Float Reels and I reach for one of my Baitcaster rigs more often than not......

![​IMG]

2. nighttime

nighttime

Still love my pin! Nice chrome

Sparky23 likes this.

3. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

Well well well, looks like the EXACT SAME rig I use for salmon. G loomis glx and a shimano calcutta 201. Great gear my friend

4. RDR

RDR

Thanks Mr. :)

A balanced outfit helps make the system work that much better. The one pictured is a Loomis 1384 IMX custom with a Shimano Calcutta 100 TE DC. I run 8 lb. Promix mainline and casting that reel is a breeze....I can throw some light rigs a long distance with it!

5. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

Mine is a 10 glx, the reel I use is the calcutta 201 dc (I fish left handed). I use the same rod for casting spins and tube fishing lsc. If ur looking for a new loomis rod the e6x stuff is awesome. Last year I got a 10' casting and spinning for salmon. I just recently ordered a ul in the same length and series. Can't wait to catch some browns and bows on it next year

6. RDR

RDR

Cool! Thanks for the recommendation Mr.

Slowly we are seeing lighter action baitcasting rods in longer lengths being introduced by major rod companies that are suitable for the GL fisheries. Until recently, we only had typical "West Coast" lengths and actions available off the rack.....I need another rod like a hole in the head :rolleyes:....LOL and pretty well any decent reel will do. Whether it be a low-profile style or popcan type like you and I use.

But that is good rod info for those looking to get into the program ;)

7. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

I agree with u completely. The e6x stuff is really nice for what it is. I used both this year for salmon (casting and spinning ). Used the casting for bobs with guts (lots of fun) and t sticks and spinners. Had quite a few nearly rip the rod out of my hands. The spinning wad great fir the pier. Can't wait to get the new one and give it a try

8. Treven

Treven Banned

What model GLX is that? They don't make too many GLX baitcasters that long... they don't make too many GLX anything in Salmon / Steelhead besides the Centerpin rods, and the trusty 9'6" noodle that came in every other graphite Loomis ever offered, actually...

They used to have a 8'4" 1pc. hotshot or back bounce rod I don't see anymore, either.

9. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

It's extremely old, like before shimano bought them. Iirc I've had it 12+ years

10. Treven

Treven Banned

Nice.

11. Sorry to dig this thread out of the depths but I currently run a calcutta on a 10'6 st croix great set up my issue is watching guys pull up next to me wack fish using center pins running the same gear as me except for rod and reel. My question is to everyone is should your presentaion of bait being beads flys spawn jigs waxies ANYTHING under a bobber should your bait be down stream of your bobber or slightly up stream of it. all the center pin guys bobbers are tipped up stream while my bobber is straight up and down leaving my bait up stream of my bobber while i'm assuming there's is down stream of there bobber. going nuts trying to figure out why they seem to be more succesfull

12. Corey K

Corey K

I'm no expert by any means, I would think you always want your offering downstream of your float. Meaning the run is 6' deep, but your fishing like it's 7-8' deep without actually dragging. They could be running lighter floats than you, longer shot line, etc. They could be slowing down their drift slightly without pulling it out of the seam or to go over a slightly shallower area to where it deepens at the end of the run?

13. I have really come to love my baitcaster. I hardly ever fish with my centerpin reels anymore. IMHO, a baitcaster is more efficient, if you were hoping to catch more fish for a tournament or something like that, I would consider a baitcaster the way to go. Speed of retrieve is the best part.

14. Fishndude

Fishndude

The Pinners are "trotting" their lines downstream. Read up on it. It is probably the last real nuance of pinning everyone needs to master.

15. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

I just started to use a baitcaster this year, but it works the same as my center pins. The one thing that might affect your drift is that my baitcaster is a custom spiral wrapped rod rather than having the standard guides on top of the blank, and you may be getting line drag on the rod if you are using a normal baitcaster. Not sure how much this will change things.
    Always keep your offering down stream of your float, with the float straight up it should still have the "bait" down stream if rigged right, just don't let the float point down stream.

D