Bait caster used like a center pin

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by DCampbell, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Kelsey1

Kelsey1

Line memory, bearing smoothness go to the Pin...ease of reeling in line baitcaster (may also be easier to cast for some). Look to the guys that catch the most Steel wading...pin wins IMHO.

slightofhand likes this.
  2. SkiTownSportsman

SkiTownSportsman

Center pins are novelty items to me, if you are looking to hook and land more fish each day the baitcaster is where it's at. Rate of line retrieval is what sets the two apart. Faster line pick up after a drift means more drifts in a day, which means chances for bites. Simple. And also the baitcaster doesn't freeze up like some pins, and can be fished while using gloves. I recently sold my pin and moved to float fishing a bait caster full time.

Sam22 and smokepole like this.

3. FishKilla419

FishKilla419

They both have their pros and cons. My mykiss full of line picks up line at almost the same rate as a bc. I use both. And the dude that's always fishing right next to me only uses a bc (for now).

RobW likes this.
  4. jd_speed

jd_speed

What's the main line you bc guys prefer for steel?... Just got a bc set up and wondered if you are running braid or mono... Any thoughts?

5. SkiTownSportsman

SkiTownSportsman

I've tried many lines and 12lb mono is what I found works the best for me

jd_speed likes this.
  6. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

7. FishKilla419

FishKilla419

12# T-line by mason. Been using the 20# since August for kings and I love it. I actually have the 17 on my pin right now. It floats fairly well especially with a lil floatant treatment. It is the limpest mono I've ever used. No memory. Very strong.
    Very comparable to cxx just not quite as thick dia and much limper.

8. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

9. Chaseo513

Chaseo513

I use braid with a floro leader

10. jd_speed

jd_speed

Previous to seeing this thread I spooled up with 30lb power pro high viz and it seems to work ok. The only issue I've had is the line sometimes digs into itself on the spool. The high viz is really easy to see and makes it easy for a nooby like me to mend for a proper drift. I've tried floro for leader material and really don't care for it so far as it seems real brittle????

11. plugger

plugger Premium Member

RobW likes this.
  12. Mike Borger

Mike Borger

I'm a long time center pin user going back to 1979 so I'll never admit that baitcasters are better. But they're starting to become far more accepted especially in southern Ontario where I'm from. I know several really good steelheaders who fish with baitcasters exclusively now and there are advantages. First and foremost versatility. You can switch to hardware or bottom bouncing easily without having to carry around two rods - that's a big one. As far as float fishing from what I've seen the reel is critical. All the best guys I know using baitcasters have migrated to using the Calcutta TE DC. Crazy expensive, but it can handle the abuse and can cast a light float a long way with ease. A dedicated baitcasting float rod will definitely be the next step in my own personal evolution - it will have it's time and place.

13. SkiTownSportsman

SkiTownSportsman

ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1446822652.556269.jpg this is my setup for this season, 13 ft 6-10 pound, with a revo stx-hsh reel. 8:1 ratio with 22 pounds of drag. Smooth as silk

RobW and smokepole like this.
  14. jd_speed

jd_speed

15. JungleGeorge

JungleGeorge

You going to flip some worms for bass with that rod ?