Bait caster used like a center pin

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by DCampbell, Jul 28, 2015.

1. DCampbell

DCampbell

I have never fished with a center pin reel before , but I can see the benefits. Could a person use a bait caster free spooled for the same thing ? Is the Center pin reel smoother ? Is the reel diameter easier for the line to come off ?

2. luckyshorts

luckyshorts

I've always wanted a pin but can't seem to get away from my baitcaster. Mine free spools very easy and I use it for float fishing all the time for steel

3. johnsonk

johnsonk

Im not familiar with baitcasters AT ALL ... but I would imagine if you free spooled with a baitcaster you would have to adjust your drag immediately after hooking up with a fish?? What I do know is the benefit of the center pin is for a completely drag free drift with no worries about having to adjust drags or flip bails to let line out like on spinning gear. Another benefit is being able to do extremely long drifts and the presentation looks 100% natural. The biggest advantage to me with the pin is how easily I can adjust speed. I can match my float speed damn near exact to the water speed just by a slight touch of my hand which I believe is important for an accurate presentation. My reel is very smooth and line comes off it very easily. Im sure you can float your baitcaster but for me the center pin is just awesome. Float drops, hand locks down the pin, set the hook! Easy as that. It's a really fun way to catch fish.

DCampbell likes this.
  4. JungleGeorge

JungleGeorge

I've done both, they both work better than a spinning set up. It's a differnt fight on a cp and it works even better than a bait caster . You leave the bail open on the caster and use your thumb to lock the spool and set the hook, then reel to engage drag. I had hard time finding a 12ft plus casting noodle rod .

DCampbell likes this.
  5. SkiTownSportsman

SkiTownSportsman

After owning both a pin and a bait caster, I am sold on a bait caster for a float rod. I feel like a baitcaster is easier to learn, in most cases is a cheaper route and essentially does the same thing as a pin. I really fell in love with my baitcaster this spring and will be selling my center pin set up soon and getting into a more serious casting float rod and reel set up.

maizen, RobW, pinhead and 2 others like this.
  6. FishKilla419

FishKilla419

In slow water the bait caster spool may not spin quite as freely but almost. I use both. I prefer the bc around lots of people or near dams or where I'm casting a long distance to reach the desired drift. A center pin gives you really no advantages to a super long drift. I can drift a bobber just as far with a bc or spin rod. To me the pin is just way more precision. Drift speed is more controlled. Unless your in frog water your never "freespooling" your setup down river. Controlling drift speed is one of the most important aspects of bobber fishing.

REG, shotgunner and pinhead like this.
  7. FishKilla419

FishKilla419

http://www.gloomis.com/content/g-lo...ods/salmon-steelhead/IMX_STEELHEAD_FLOAT.html

8. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

Just my opinion, they perform quite similar and efficiently. A centerpin does shine in frogwater, and that is the most notable aspect. You can also fish smaller floats to match smaller flows in my opinion. An 8 gram or less I feel a baitcaster just doesn't start up easy enough to run... now that's just my experience using cheaper baitcasters, perhaps higher end would perform better.... but moderate to fast flows, 12 gram or larger floats, no real difference in my opinion.

9. Both have a time and place. I had a pin first then onto a spinning reel then onto a bait caster. I like the baitcaster for big water, power, efficiency, big floats, medium to fast flows (general conditions). Center pin for slow water, lighter floats, control, big water and medium water (specialty conditions) . Spinning setup I like for small water where a rod over 10' becomes trouble some (specialty conditions). You can make do with any one of them.
    [​IMG]

shotgunner and Steve like this.
  10. JungleGeorge

JungleGeorge

What kind of rod is that pictured above. 400 for a loomis is a lot of coin

11. That would be the Loomis IMX 11'4 M moderate. The other cheaper option is to buy a 12' Crappie rod and have a casting handle put on.

12. wyandot

wyandot

+ Quote
    Perfect excuse to learn how to build a rod. Half of that money will build damn good stick that you'll be proud of for a long, long time. The only drawback is the warranty.

jmaddog8807 and DCampbell like this.
  13. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

Very true! I was intimidated too long to get into it, now that I have, I wish I would have years ago! Check out mud holes videos, easy stuff to start with.

14. Lou is Blue

Lou is Blue

I was in the Renegade River Gun & Swap Shop in Nunica, and noted he had a 11-12 foot baitcasting float rod in there. Looked custom built, for like 120 bucks, looked new.

15. METTLEFISH

METTLEFISH

A quality Bait Caster with a flippin switch is the way to go. Depress thumbar= free spool, release thumbar= engaged. Bobber down, release thumb, jam fish...

RobW and smokepole like this.