Bait Caster Float Rod (opinions)

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by percheye, Apr 25, 2018.

1. percheye

percheye

Looking at buying a new rod for my bait caster float set up. Current rod is too difficult to cast with.
    Going to buy a St. Croix Avid Series 10'6" but don't know what power to get. Advice? ML or M or H?
    [​IMG]

2. Trout King

Trout King

10'6" 6-10lb would be my personal choice.

What is your current rod that is giving you trouble?

3. rippin lip

rippin lip

I use a raven RPX spiral wrap. Casting is very smooth.

4. percheye

percheye

Current rod is a Gander Mountain series steelhead rod. 10'6" ML

5. BMARKS

BMARKS

i would prefer the 8-12 m rod myself. i have been know to horse fish around pretty hard, but i like to have enough so when that fish of a lifetime 20 lber whacks it i am ready. and it is still light enough to be fun and put the bend with average 8 lbers.

gotoith, Treven and percheye like this.
  6. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

Of the rods you have listed, the 10'6" M 8-12# should work fine. If you can, go for a custom spiral wrap, you will not regret it. I have a CTS 12' 6-10 that really works great, will handle light setups 5-8 gm. floats and also the heavy stuff 16-20 gm. for the fall salmon. One of the biggest things I have found is that you need to have a very good reel, I have been using a Abu Revo S low profile, which was a very good reel, but switched to the new Diawa Tatula low profile which handles the lighter weights easier.

Treven and percheye like this.
  7. percheye

percheye

Thanks Guys! Appreciate your opinions.

BMARKS likes this.
  8. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

I have the avid 10'6 med and luv it. I bought it to throw cranks for kings but ended up trying it for bobs and guts a few years ago and absolutely love it. Have no problem handling anything in the rivers i fish

9. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

I'm not sure if you're brand-specific but you might want to look into the G Loomis e6x series as well as they make rods that are comprable and price and action. I want to say that my Loomis is just a tad bit lighter than my Avid series. Just a thought

10. plugger

plugger Premium Member

I fished a pin a lot but found it clumsy landing fish alone in a boat so I started to use a 8-12 medium light bait caster and it fit me. It's my opinion that a bait caster for floats is not a place where you need to spend a lot of money. I think this is a shimano convergence and I am a guy who is partial to Loomis and some what satisfied with StCroix. With floats its float down set hook. All the sensitivity in the world is wasted, if their there you could feel them with a 2x4.
    [​IMG]

Treven likes this.
  11. Treven

Treven

I tend to feel the same way as plugger above in his preferences. I also think for Michigan, the 8-12 would be the rod for me in that line-up.

I like running 8lb and 10lb leads as much as possible for steelhead and since you have a drag with a baitcaster, it's nice to have a little extra insurance with heavier 8-12 leads when the fish surprises you and you're not quick enough to push the ol' freespool button and thumb'er with not a lot of line out...

Plugger's point for using one by himself in a boat is what my 11'4" IMX baitcaster is for. My wife thinks its for her to use... he he!

adam bomb and gotoith like this.
  12. Treven

Treven

FWIW, my spiral wrapped 12' Closer is my favorite float fishing baitcaster and I consider it an 8-12lb rod despite its 6-12lb decal.

BMARKS likes this.
  13. BMARKS

BMARKS

I agree on the rating of the closer. i have not fished one myself but i have had my hands on a couple, and i would not feel comfortable running 6 lb leader on one.

Treven likes this.
  14. Treven

Treven

Agreed. I'd actually run 6lb on my IMX before I ran 6lb on my Closer. I'd also run 12lb leads on my Closer before my IMX. Either way I'm running a centerpin with 6lb leads, ha ha!

I think somebody could get away running 6lb leads with a centerpin on a Closer, but they'll be on the reel too much letting the fish have their way with them if the fish is hot. If its a lethargic winter fish that just head thrashes like a lake trout all the way in, I suppose 6lb could be used too. Not my style, though.

BMARKS likes this.