Bad weather, good weekend

Discussion in 'North West Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by ausable_steelhead, Sep 17, 2017.

1. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

Man, this weather is blah. Hot, sunny, humid...not what I want to fish in. Despite the summer return, the bite actually improved with these temps. Water levels are looowww, and water temps I'm sure bumped up minimally.

I fished twice this weekend, fishing two rivers and doing pretty well for the conditions. I fished late morning, then again late afternoon the first day, going 7-7. The second I just fished midday, for some reason. It wasn't fast, but a slow pick for a 4-6 day. The coho are insane this year; what a year class.

First day:

Second day:

2. PunyTrout

PunyTrout Staff Member Mods

Sweet! Thanks for sharing. Everything I look for in a report. Good pics, positive attitude and zero whining.

3. Trout King

Trout King

Nice work on the fish. Takes patience picking away at them in the hot sunny weather. Congrats.

4. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

Oh, there were some moments to whine, but salmon season is just an "is what it is" proposition.

I don't particularly like bright sky days, but I've hit enough Chinook under the sun to know it's worth a shot. Typically downsizing to dime-sized bags is my go to in bright conditions, but cut spawn in natural cure was what they wanted. The skam did come on a bag, but only after I whiffed on her with skein.

jmaddog8807 likes this.
  5. jmaddog8807

jmaddog8807

bags have been working for me a lot better this year. been trying the skein bite a lot, but I don't know, just seem to hit more on bags.

6. MapleRiverSalmon

MapleRiverSalmon

This year has been weird for me. All my fish have came on quarter size chunks of skein. Got hits on big globs but just pecks. Downsize and watch the float sink! Nice fish Jon. Wish I could capitalize on those coho but I think I'm sticking northeast for the rest of the season. Been good things as of late...

7. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

Small chunks have been all I've needed. A lot of people go a little crazy with cluster size, usually just wasting eggs. I've been fishing a river mouth, and they've really played with it a bunch before taking it this year. Sometimes, your bobber is completely down, and it's a straight whiff. This weather has slowed our bite to a crawl...