Backpacks

Discussion in 'Out of state hunts' started by Lumberman, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Lumberman

Lumberman Premium Member

I know some of you are real gear heads.

Looking for help buying a new backpack for a 5 Day back country hunt.

My biggest concern is my size. I’m 6’ 5” 245ish.

Right now I’m leaning towards the kuiu ultra 6000 because they make a large and tall pack.

Any thoughts or opinions before I pull the trigger.

2. steelyspeed

steelyspeed

I just bought the ultra 6000 to upgrade from my ALPS outdoors pack. I think it’s the best pack for the money. I have run into a lot of guys on the mountain using the Ultra and they all loved them... and it’s less than 4lbs!

My buddies also love their Stone Glacier and Exo packs.

Lumberman likes this.

3. shanny28757

shanny28757

I have a Mystery Ranch NICE frame with a Metcalf bag for hunts around 5 days long.

I think most of the specialty hunting pack manufacturers (MR, Kifaru, Kuiu, Exo, etc) should have a frame that can accommodate you. If they don't, move on to another company that does. Best bet is to try them on if at all possible. Worst case, call the company directly and give them your measurements. They will for sure be able to tell you which frame to buy.

I've only dealt with MR and Kifaru but they will walk you through the entire process.

brushbuster and Lumberman like this.
  4. brushbuster

brushbuster

I don't know about Kuiu, or kifaru but Stone glacier has a 30 day buy and try, if it don't work you send it back. Stone Glacier is pretty easy to deal with call them and ask questions.

QDMAMAN likes this.
  5. brushbuster

brushbuster

The nice thing about the high end packs is the diversity you get, with my pack frame I can get several bags to meet my trips needs, everything from a day pack to a multi day expedition.

6. shanny28757

shanny28757

Another plus side of buying a pack from the top end companies is that there is a really strong resale market. If you buy a pack that doesn’t work for you, there’s a good chance you can sell it on rockslide or some other forum and not take a total bath on it.

Crawfish and brushbuster like this.
  7. bwlacy

bwlacy

I talked with Aaron at length at Kifaru before I bought mine 3 years ago. You can give him a call and see what they can do for your height. I had the opposite problem being 5'8".

The other posts are correct about resale on any of the high end packs. You may want to check Rokslide before you buy. You might find what you want used.

I've been very happy with my Kifaru, and my brother has a MR and loves it.

8. kracker

kracker

Definitely call a talk with Kifaru. Great packs, great options, great people to deal with and ALL packs and components are American made.

9. Lumberman

Lumberman Premium Member

Ok. Looking into a Kifaru. They sure don’t give this stuff away.

10. cmatts12

cmatts12

I did a TON of research for a pack last year for my Colorado Mule deer hunt. I ended up going with the Kuiu icon 3200. I absolutely loved it on that hunt. I was really happy with Kuiu customer service. I have a long torso so I ordered the tall frame. When I first put it on it felt a little strange and started to think I needed the regular frame so I called them and a guy walked me through step by step to make sure I had it adjusted properly and after that it ended up being a perfect fit. If you use the torso measurement guide on their website it will put you in the proper frame. At 6’5” I’m guessing you would need the xtra tall frame? It was great carrying around all day while walking the mountains. Could barely even tell it was in my back but when I shot my mule deer is when it really blew me away. My buddy and I packed that deer out 3 miles over some pretty nasty terrain. He had a pack as well so we were able to get it out in one trip. I packed out a bone-in front shoulder, a bone-in hind quarter, one backstrap and the head with antlers. That pack had a lot of weight to it but when it was on my back I couldn’t believe how well it distributes the weight. Don’t get me wrong that pack out was a son of a B$&@% but it would have been impossible without a quality pack. I would recommend the Kuiu based of my experience but the main point is although they are expensive get a quality pack. Don’t go cheap. Sounds like you are looking at the best brands. My buddy had an eberlstock and his was really nice too.

Lumberman and brushbuster like this.
  11. Trooper1288

Trooper1288

I run a kifaru 26” tactical frame, and a nomad. For my gear I use a water proof bag and drop it at my campsites. Plus a guide lid and grab it. I love my system. Wraps up everything snug including big slabs of meat. The lumbar pad feels so much better than my old Alice pack from my military days.

It’s expensive but worth it. Like a good pair of boots that save your feet, don’t skimp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. bwlacy

bwlacy

I'm running a Kifaru Duplex with an AMR bag, 2 side pockets, lid, 2 pockets on the belt. I also have a cargo panel which I use on white tail hunts to carry stands and sticks. I can get 10 days of gear in there easy. For a 5 day trip you could go with a much smaller bag, or just don't fill it.

One of the biggest things is to load it properly. Play with how you load it and where the weight is so that it carries better. I think most bags feel good with 40 pounds in them. Put 100 plus on the frame and then see how they feel. That's where the top end packs shine.

Hard to do around here without places to go try them out.

I'd let you put my Kifaru on and see what you think. I don't know if I can make it fit your torso though.

brushbuster likes this.
  13. kracker

kracker

I agree that most packs will handle 40 pounds without issue. Like stated before, it's when you start packing weight over 60 pounds that the better designed packs start separating from the others. Google searches for best hunting packs for carrying weight will start pointing toward 3 or 4 companies fairly consistently. Nothing worse than have a pack fail in the middle of packing out an animal (glad it wasn't mine). If the plan is to do multiple trips out west, it's definitely worth spending the money for a top pack. If it's a one trip and done then a cheaper pack will hopefully last through one miserable pack out. For me, I like the many different bags options that Kifaru offers so as my needs change, I can just switch bags and keep my already familiar frame. The bags are easily sold and hold a fair value. The Rokslide classifieds are a great place to buy, sell or I see some people trading stuff there as well. I haven't heard anyone regret buying a high end pack but read plenty of nightmare stories of people buying cheap or bad designed packs that fail or are miserable to carry weight.

brushbuster likes this.
  14. Sewey

Sewey

I purchased an Exo Mountain Gear 3500 last summer. I was able to use this pack all last deer season as well as coyote hunting and will be using this upcoming turkey season. I bought this pack after much research and consideration when preparing for my backcountry elk hunt this coming September.

I absolutely love my 3500, they do make a 5500 that might better suit your needs for a 5+ day hunt. I emailed back and forth with Steve who helped me settle on the 3500, I can always buy just the 5500 bag and put it on my existing frame later if I need to. Exo uses a titanium frame that is light, my pack is just under 5lbs by itself, and when properly fitted and cinched down the frame really moves with my body making it feel like a natural extension of my torso. I also purchased their dry bag system that attaches to the inside of the bag. This is a waterproof bag that allows you to store items inside without the use of an external rain cover. This way you can still access all the pockets and compartments of the bag while keeping the necessary items dry inside, plus keeping any blood that might soak through the pack from staining your clothes, tent, or other items. And like other packs, when you've set up camp and strike out on a hunt, you can cinch down on the compression straps and your 3500 or 5500 becomes a day pack. You can tell the bag was designed by guys who spent a lot of time in the backcountry hunting and packing out animals.

Exo also offers a 30 day trial as they are based out of ID and know packs are bought sight unseen. Additionally, they have their own podcast that I've learned a lot from in all aspects of hunting.

https://exomountaingear.com/

Below is a pic of my pack from this past 2017 deer season with my hang stand between the frame and pack, ultimately where I'm hoping some elk hind quarters will go in a few months!

IMG_1318 (1).JPG

brushbuster likes this.
  15. Joel/AK

Joel/AK

https://barneyssports.com/

Get ahold of these guys. Small shop in Anchorage but they only sell what works. Sales staff, hell everybody that works there has to hunt.

If it works in AK, it'll work anywhere.

markopolo50 and Mr Mom like this.