Back to school--in person

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by WALLEYE MIKE, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Oldgrandman

Oldgrandman Woods and Water Rat Premium Member

Anyone else notice what is wrong here.....there are kids happy to go back to school? I'm guessing school isn't like it was in the 60's then.

I lived by a lake with woods and streams to play in. I know I'd rather be out fishing or playing hide & seek, Frisbee, bike riding, listening to my friend's parents music...definitely not excited school was opening back up. At least I think that is what I would rather have been doing.

But hey, I just hope they are getting a good education not just being handed trophies for being there. ;)

2. TK81

TK81 Premium Member

We live in the country, and my kids missed their classsmates. Going back to school is awesome. Just hope we don't have any interruptions.

DanSS26, Lake Boy and Ieatshrooms like this.

3. LushLife

LushLife

Ieatshrooms likes this.
  4. Oldgrandman

I was more or less making light of the situation, with a ring of truth.

But I called em friends and neighbors. We rode our bikes a lot, went all over downtown Kalamazoo and out in the country to small lakes and gravel pits to fish. I grew up across the lake from Nazareth, MI and rode all the way out to Portage, which a pretty long trek, like going to Sparta or Rockford.

I know it's a different time now, but as a kid I never lacked friends or things to do. I know full well what kids need as an adult, I was speaking from the standpoint of a kid.

DanSS26 likes this.
  5. Nick Adams

Nick Adams

My kids grew up outside town, too, with a mother that severely restricted their bicycle riding range. We had neighbors, but they were all 60+. School was their entire social life.

On the plus side, schools appear to be one way for us to learn what works and what doesn't when it comes to new infections.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/...rite-the-playbook-for-pandemic-success-422010

-na

Oldgrandman and TK81 like this.
  6. Fishndude

Fishndude

We aren't hearing much about what is happening in other countries, after they've loosened their covid restrictions, and kids have returned to school. I wonder why that is?

sureshot006 likes this.
  7. Nick Adams

Nick Adams

Your self-imposed restrictions on news sources are too limited?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-covid-19-presents-challenges-for-many-small-town-

https://www.bbc.com/news/education-54250805

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/soc...ts-go-back-school-china-after-authorities-say

-na

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  8. Fishndude

Fishndude

I realize it can be found by searching. A few months ago there was news from around the world about covid in the headlines on a daily basis. Maybe no matter for concern any longer.

9. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

My son was extremely happy with not going to school. He has a car and can visit friends so it is a little different than an elementary aged kid...I get that. He loves online school. He doesn't have to get up early his grades are better. His school anounced this week they are going back full time starting thursday instead of half days. He wasnt happy.

I got to break the news to him today that he wasnt allowed to go back until oct 7th. His mother has covid and got her call from the health dept this morning informing her the news we kinda expected. He sat there in disbelief for a minute. Then looked at me and said.....you mean it would technically be illegal for me to go to school right now? I said yeah i guess you could kinda say that. He started grinning like a possum on a pile of poop. Made his day until i informed him he was going to miss the duck opener with his buddy next weekend.

eggfly and Joel/AK like this.
  10. Joel/AK

Joel/AK

Hope your wife does good Steve.

Daughter has been back for about 6 weeks also. She doesn't mind it, she would rather be out at the property, state parks, etc though. She hates the whole mask thing.

DirtySteve likes this.
  11. Oldgrandman

Yeah man, get some more sources. PBS/NPR/BBC/ for starters, and a couple others routinely have news from abroad. You might be surprised what you are missing on our cable and nightly news broadcasts that happen right here at home too! It's sort of alarming actually.

But even the venues I submitted are sometimes omitting stories we should all see, and they too have some bias. I write them and tell them about it too!. But that is why the variety across the spectrum is good. You see exactly what, just who.....is omitting!

12. CHASINEYES

CHASINEYES

Sad really. My kids were the same as me, hated the summer being over. But, they were able to spend almost as much time as they wanted at my parents on the farm. They had access to 4 ponds and plenty of room to roam with friends and other relatives children their age. I limited their time staying at friends or having friends over, but ga e them nearly free reign to stay with grand parents.

Oldgrandman likes this.
  13. bobberbill

bobberbill

Local school announced positive kids. Not sure what's going to happen next.

14. swampbuck

swampbuck

The facility/school For those with disability’s where I work will open Full schedule Oct 8th.

Went back to full time, permanent status yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app