close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Back basin

Discussion in 'Icefishing Lk. St. Clair' started by riverjigger1225, Dec 6, 2017.

1. riverjigger1225

riverjigger1225

got the itch to go and heird it it always one of the first to freeze up what is in there gills and perch?

2. hardwater_ben

hardwater_ben

Dink perch,some decent panfish, and a lot of people on the small shelf of ice

6667supersport likes this.

3. mike1968

mike1968

true

4. EZHOOPS

EZHOOPS

AND every newbie that got their first ice fishing combo for Christmas, No thanks.
    Have fun

5. bucknasty11208

bucknasty11208

My experiences in there is that it can be hit and miss. Ive actually had some decent days in the basin area on perch. Lots of throwbacks but ive also caught several 8-10" eaters in there as well. Never limits but enough for a couple good meals.

6. riverjigger1225

riverjigger1225

Thanks

7. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

Also days where there is light pressure back there. To much noise and to many baits in the water doesn't help

8. WANNABEFISHIN

WANNABEFISHIN

Its hit and miss . Iv been back there and found giant schools of crappie gills and perch . Saw a huge sturgoun some big pike and 1 walleye . Other times of seen nothing .

9. greelhappy

greelhappy

Do not fish back there much anymore, but this one time a few years back my son and I took some of the largest perch I have ever caught through the ice in that basin. A fellow fishermen clued me in last season to anchor in front of the island just on the edge of the weeds for some fine late season perch fishing. Like the idiot I am, I did not try it. Maybe next year.

10. MI.sabot

MI.sabot

Its been more than a few years ago now, but the back of the back basin used to be very productive the first couple weeks of the season. The challenge was having good enough ice to get to and across the island. YOU NEVER...EVER... WANT TO CROSS FROM ANYWHERE BESIDES THE LAKE SIDE OF THAT ISLAND. The marsh side is dangerous!

11. Jimbos

Jimbos

8 weeks a year in Petoskey, 44 in Livonia
    Not to sound like a punk as I mention this every ice season, I almost drowned by the marsh side of that island going through with a serious 8 inches of ice everywhere else, so newbies, be careful around there.

12. WANNABEFISHIN

WANNABEFISHIN

Yes crossing by the mouth of the Venitian is very dangerous . That current is ripping out of there .

Jimbos likes this.
  13. Jimbos

Jimbos

8 weeks a year in Petoskey, 44 in Livonia
    I cringe to see that island mentioned every ice season to know that a broad swath of the ice fishing public will read it, some experienced and some not so much.
    At that point I had been ice fishing for 20 years but was inexperienced in that area, but 100's of people were out and I had just switched areas after fishing the open lake on 8 or more inches and I followed existing tracks onto the ice because of my inexperience, so not in a million years would I of thought that spot was bad.
    I have a Stryker ice suit now but not everyone does so please be careful.

14. chasing em

chasing em

X2 for the newbies. One of the best things to learn is use your spud in front of you every step your not sure of. It could save you from a wet azz if not something worse