close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Avoiding Ground Shrinkage

Discussion in 'MichiganBear.com' started by TrailMarker, Jul 20, 2017.

1. sureshot006

sureshot006

I like the heavier/bonded bullets, too, but only just in case I hit bone accidentally. Personally, I'd rather punch the ribs so I don't completely wreck a whole shoulder (or both) worth of meat. Any decent energy rifle is going to destroy the vitals, although it can suck having to move 300-400 lb any extra distance than you have to. They just don't tend to go far anyway.

Like said, no wrong shot placement as long as its a quick, clean kill. Just another opinion/consideration.

wildthing likes this.
  2. sureshot006

sureshot006

Don't know if the OP has been back to this thread but another side note about the meat...

Please, for the love of bear, take care of the meat! Too many people don't like it, and I think its mainly lack of timely cooling/processing. Probably tastes funky from the rot while showing it off to friends in the 80 degree heat. Get that meat cold (40-45F if you can) as fast as you are able!

Good luck on the hunt!

O'sdad, Nostromo and Sprytle like this.

3. TrailMarker

TrailMarker

I have been following the thread the whole time, thanks for all the good advice. We leave in just less than 2 weeks:)

MISTURN3, Nostromo, Sprytle and 2 others like this.
  4. O'sdad

O'sdad

Your tag, your choice. I would find new friends if they had something smart to say about the bear you choose to tag. I have handled literally hundreds of bears over the years, both as a long-time bear hunter, and as a full time taxidermist most of my life (recently retired...yahoo!). The average Great Lakes area bear is between 130-150 pounds dressed. That means there are just as many SMALLER bear tagged as there are bigger ones. I usually go into the season with the idea that I will be perfectly happy with any spikehorn sized bear or bigger. I shoot them to eat, not mount, and those yearling bear are tasty as can be. Be realistic about your goals, have fun, and don't let the others dictate the size bear YOU will tag. That type of person has already taken the fun out of deer hunting, don't let them ruin bear hunting too! Good luck and let us know how you do.
    P.S. Ditto what sureshot says about the meat. Great stuff, but cool it ASAP!!

5. Callinalldeer

Callinalldeer

I have a real difficult time to take pics. Gutting, skinning and weighing the. Bear in the heat Travel to the butcher pick up fron the butcher to get registered than back to the butchers to get cut.40 miles every trip.

6. mal

mal

This is your best advice. The head on a bear always gives away it's size. If the ears look like they are more on the side of the head than the top, it's a bigger bear. You can also look at the legs and belly...on younger bears the legs will look thinner and you will notice more open space between the legs, belly, and the ground. If the legs look squatty and the belly is close to the ground you probably have a decent bear by Michigan standards.

7. Joel/AK

Joel/AK

Congrats. Good job on the bear.

8. TrailMarker

TrailMarker

Thanks to all for the good advice, bear was somewhere around 180# and on all 4 legs was about as tall as a 55 gallon barrel. It was about 68-70" long, shot over bait, fig newtons and jelly:)

sureshot006 likes this.
  9. O'sdad

O'sdad

That's a GREAT bear, congratulations!!

10. swampbuck

swampbuck

I dont disagree with you to a point, most bear simply will not get huge regardless of age. They are rare, just like abnormally large bucks.

But unlike deer, bear don't reach breeding age until 3+ y.o. and only breed every other year at best. That's why Cubs are protected.

I don't know if there's a solution to that, but a bit of consideration when your looking at a small one is not a bad thing. I wished the DNR would provide more info on that in the hunting guide.

11. swampbuck

swampbuck

That's not saying a 150lb bear is bad....it could be 20 yrs old

12. sureshot006

sureshot006

13. O'sdad

O'sdad

I mounted a bear for a guy from Gaylord some years back that was a runt...it was well under 100 pounds dressed weight, but the darn thing was 11 years old. You can't tell what your looking at sometimes!