Ausable fish farm meeting.

Discussion in 'North - North East Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by swampbuck, Mar 24, 2016.

1. swampbuck

swampbuck

The informational meeting is at 6 pm today. At the Ol'Barn in Grayling.

Just a reminder.

2. swampbuck

swampbuck

Well I went....I thoughtthat that the anglers of the Ausable presentation and answers to the questions were heavy on emotion but lacking data to back it up. I expected much more from them.

The hatchery operator was very well prepared and well spoken.

At this point, based on what I heard today. I believe the hatchery/farm guys heart is in the right place. I also believe that sufficient MDNR/MDEQ safeguards are in place.

I also believe that the Historic grayling facilities existence has significant value to the community.

Barring convincing evidence to the contrary. I support the development of the facility.

access2 likes this.

3. piscatorial warrior

piscatorial warrior Premium Member

Good to know Swampbuck. Thank you for going in our stead.

Burksee likes this.
  4. Molson

Molson

Wish I had known it was taking place. Guess I missed that notification. My understanding was it was now a court matter and there were no safeguards being put in place. Our DEQ has shown their inability to ensure safe water quality in other parts of the state. What makes you think they will here? i.e. what are the safeguards you reference?

5. swampbuck

swampbuck

There is testing required in the permit. And the owner is responsible if damage occurs. They are required to install traps when/if the permit to expand is finalized. Trapped material, including what they currently collect from the raceways is trucked away and used spread on farms as fertilizer.

Currently there are 8 raceways in operation. Historically when the DNR operated it there were 54 raceways in operation. Currently they are operating at a negative discharge, trapping more incoming sediment, than they are discharging.

He invited anyone concerned to contact him, wish I would have wrote down that info. His name is Dan and he can be reached at the Harrieta Mi trout farm. The guy stayed after the meeting until the place was nearly empty. Engaging anyone with a comment or question. Pretty impressed considering that most of the room was against him when it started.

Here another thing. There are currently 2 hatcheries in the state that exceed the state discharge standards (better than) and that includes DNR operations....those two are His Grayling and Harrieta operations.

As I mentioned before, I was disappointed with the AofA presentation and answers. I like data, I went wanting to hear the whole story from both sides. They should have done MUCH better, they really had nothing of value to offer. If that's all they got, they should just skip the court hearing, and save their money.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  6. MichiganStreamside

MichiganStreamside

Shocked anyone would support this. List the benefits to the area and Au Sable River. You really think that if there is huge negative effect on the Au Sable the owner of the fish farm "will be responsible for the damages and put it back the way it was before he dumped all his waste in the river"?

RobW likes this.
  7. swampbuck

swampbuck

I think he is not going to risk every thing he has.

Every hatchery/farm in the state is a flow through. (his are the best according to the data)....care to share how many catastrophes have occurred ?

8. MichiganStreamside

MichiganStreamside

You listed what he brings to the Au Sable and community - NOTHING! Private business dumping its waste in our rivers will never be supported.

9. -Axiom-

-Axiom-

It's been accepted and supported for years.

10. MichiganStreamside

MichiganStreamside

Bummer is won't last any longer! Post the increase of waste from past to planned future.

11. feedinggrounds

feedinggrounds

Will fish raised at this hatchery be stocked in waters without gear restriction? If so I support it.

12. MichiganStreamside

MichiganStreamside

No its not a hatchery. A fish farm is raising them to be sold and owner making all the money.

13. hillbillie

hillbillie

Brings employment,affordable tourist attraction and a tax base to a depressed area.
    Safeguards and controls are in place. Permits have been issued.

I see no harm give it a chance.

Sent from my Torque using Ohub Campfire mobile app

14. MichiganStreamside

MichiganStreamside

How many jobs? 3?

RobW likes this.
  15. hillbillie

hillbillie

Not sure l didn't attend the meeting.
    Did you?

Sent from my Torque using Ohub Campfire mobile app