August NRC meeting update - APR's in a CWD Zone and Antlerless Harvest

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by motdean, Aug 10, 2019.

1. swampbuck

swampbuck

Dont forget, they also spent a bunch of our money on cameras, equipment and staff.

They will be watching 24/7. They will know which direction the harvest is going. They foolproofed this expirament as much as they could.

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

2. flinchjerk

flinchjerk

I would not be shocked if they already have the data and conclusions. :shhh:

3. swampbuck

swampbuck

I agree, the equipment and staff are likely already in use. They will be able to quantify the results without hunter assistance or misleading contributions.

4. flinchjerk

flinchjerk

Yeah that's exactly what I meant. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

jr28schalm likes this.
  5. jr28schalm

jr28schalm

Our money paid for a bunch of stuff on my property.. thnx again

6. swampbuck

swampbuck

Cool, can you post a pic of it ?

7. jr28schalm

jr28schalm

Sparky23, Dish7 and flinchjerk like this.
  8. Rainman68

Rainman68

Nice looking mast crop there JR.

jr28schalm likes this.
  9. mbrewer

mbrewer

I looked again. Either not well enough or I was mistaken to begin with. Third time's the charm.

10. swampbuck

swampbuck

jr28schalm likes this.
  11. jr28schalm

jr28schalm

Now that you mention it. Wonder what brand cams our money bought..lol

motdean likes this.
  12. flinchjerk

flinchjerk

He gave you a picture of his fuzzy green nuts and then you demand more. Just no satisfying you is there? :)

Dish7 and jr28schalm like this.
  13. swampbuck

swampbuck

Not much interest in his acorns, looks like the oaks are doing well down there. Not so much in my area.

14. hear fishie fishie

hear fishie fishie

One of the key points of the CWD containment plan was to put emphasis on doe family groups.
    Not even a mention of that for this study.
    Apparently no longer important or they realize that only WS sharpshooters do family groups not everyday Joe hunter.
    If the NRC/MDNR are really serious about herd size reduction they might try something like *earn next years buck(s)* . You must shoot a antlerless deer this year and turn head(s) in for testing to get a buck tag(s ) next year. If you want a second buck tag maybe have to submit 2 or more heads from a family group.
    This would solve some of the earn a buck problems with getting an antlerless deer checked before you could get a buck tag what with the check station bankers hours and holidays.
    It would give the DNR the data they seek (all deer shot being tested) while reducing the herd instantly. Might even reduce the herd too much the first year and possibly result in testing delays and financial problems.
    How many on here think a hunter wouldn't kill an antlerless deer and have it tested
    this year to get a buck tag next year??
    THINK ABOUT IT.
    Hope I didn't open a "can o worms" with this outside the box thought.

HEAR FISHIE FISHIE

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    motdean likes this.
  15. jatc

jatc

Earn a buck for a second, third, or even fourth buck in a year I think would work well. Whack a doe, check it in, and get your voucher to pick up a “management zone buck tag” for the current season. The more does you kill, the more bucks you can kill.

I think earn a buck is a terrible idea for the first buck tag though. I know a lot of guys that will not even bother hunting if that can’t shoot a buck that year, which means they won’t be killing does either. Some of these guys might not come back to the sport either.

Then there is the whole deer not evenly distributed which means some may not even get an opportunity to earn a buck. What if I get sick and can’t hunt this Fall? If I can’t shoot a buck next year because of a tough situation this year, well , screw Michigan I’m hunting out of state next year and the antlerless population on my farm can just explode....

Oh, did I mention my farm is in the “core zone”? You really want guys like me to quit hunting in Michigan and not harvest a bunch of deer off of my property? Didn’t think so.

motdean, Dish7 and mbrewer like this.