August NRC meeting update - APR's in a CWD Zone and Antlerless Harvest

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by motdean, Aug 10, 2019.

1. motdean

motdean

For those of you that did not watch the August NRC meeting, at the July meeting, the NRC requested the Department to come back with their antlerless harvest goals to keep APR's in a CWD zone.

Well, rather than come back with a hard number, they made it a ratio of does:bucks...that being 1.1:1.

Now, for all of you mathematicians out there, the DNR expects that there will be a drop in buck harvest this year due to APR's. They expect the antlered harvest to be somewhere near 7900.

That being said, the threshold for antlerless harvest would have to be ~8690.

In the 2018 hunting season, for those three counties, the antlerless harvest was 10,108.

So, for a regulation that is supposed to increase the antlerless harvest, the threshold being set is actually somewhere in the neighborhood of a 15% decrease.

That's right, they set the standard for success at a negative. We, of course, expect an increase in antlerless harvest under APR's, but to set the bar below last year's harvest is simply unexplainable.

For those of you that would like to voice an opinion regarding this matter, please address your concerns to the:

Michigan Natural Resources Commission
    via
    [email protected]

Simply amazing.

2. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

What did they base the goal numbers on?

Last year’s harvest or the previous years recruitment rate?

Dish7 likes this.

3. jr28schalm

jr28schalm

Sweet looks like there hunting is going to get better

4. flinchjerk

flinchjerk

It is not "unexplainable". It is very easy to explain: It simply matters much if you are jumping hurdles or playing limbo. It also matters much when you have backed yourself into a corner and are looking for an escape route.

You act like this is the first time the dnr or the nrc has done something to appease the ticket buyers while not given to shets about them very same ticket buyers. Both of them lettered agencies are very good at talking out both sides of their mouth. Nothing new there. As long as ticket sales come in around the same THEY DO NOT CARE and nothing is ever going to change or get fixed. Personally I am forecasting that the bad weather is going to really hold the harvest numbers back in the next few years. :rolleyes:

Trout King, mbrewer and motdean like this.
  5. motdean

motdean

If you have Facebook, you should watch the meeting.
    Chad explained it....It was just a number that they picked because the NRC directed them to.
    There was no basis for it.

Jim Sweeney also had numbers that he presented. If I understood correctly he tried to model the impact of the increase in CWD due to the decrease in shooting yearling bycks and then how many antlerless would have to be removed to make it risk neutral. It sounds like he only did this for one county. But at least there was a basis for it.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  6. GVDocHoliday

GVDocHoliday

...[​IMG]

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

jr28schalm likes this.
  7. motdean

motdean

I can't speak for them, but the NRC seemed a bit perplexed by the numbers as well as the explanation.

Director Eichinger even called Chad back up to further explain after Jim Sweeney presented.

8. motdean

motdean

You did enough to both read AND respond. Thanks. :)

9. buckguts1970

buckguts1970

This isn't true, the hunting here is going to continue to suck and never get any better. Everybody needs to keep driving to a different county. Lol

Sent from my RCT6513W87 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

10. jr28schalm

jr28schalm

I am going to just wait 2 years then put the boots on the ground..lol

flinchjerk and buckguts1970 like this.
  11. buckguts1970

buckguts1970

Hell you'll be able to wear flip flops and kill deer here, that's how good it's going to be!

Sent from my RCT6513W87 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

JPWARD, flinchjerk and jr28schalm like this.
  12. flinchjerk

flinchjerk

I must have missed it. How long is this APR/CWD "experiment" supposed to last?

13. mbrewer

mbrewer

The DNR and NRC are being guided by p**sys and ^holes that taint got the balls to do or say the right thing.

How's that for imaging?

14. motdean

motdean

4 years...2019-2022.

...unless they do not meet their antlerless goals or the DNR states that the management objectives have been met.

Liver and Onions and flinchjerk like this.
  15. flinchjerk

flinchjerk

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end.

Sorry could not resist.

Trout King, Dish7 and mbrewer like this.