Aug 25 evening bite

Discussion in 'Detroit River and Lake Erie' started by 12riverfish, Aug 26, 2020.

1. 12riverfish

12riverfish

Storm threat kept me off the lake this morning. Decided to try the evening bite.

Got emeralds from Anglers. Sherry is very nice, but please do not enter her property if the sign says closed - even if one of her slip renters leaves the gate open! Absolutely do not enter her store/home if the sign says closed. She almost shot a guy the other morning and he probably deserved it imo.

Anyway, I perched from 4:30 to 7:30pm in 26 fow. Caught about 25 or 30 yellows with 15 over 8". Maybe a dozen sheep, 2 whites and a 30" cat. Green w 1/2 an emerald was best and oddly the biggest perch came several feet off the bottom. I only caught dinks and sheep on whole emeralds. One dink was maybe only an inch longer than the minnow.

Ran a ways north and tried trolling harnesses in 20 to 18 fow from 8 till about 9pm. Got two smallish walleye - one on the bottom the other suspended (20' line & 3/4oz keel off board). Weeds were kind of bad.

It was rough at first but laid down nice and was a beautiful evening on the lake.

Some questions for you:
    I saw boats running thru the restricted area in front of fermi.....do they care? do they ever enforce the restricted area?

On the way in I shined the SSP channel with my big beam and saw an unbelievable amount of bait ....about 2 or 3" long, silver, thin, blue gill shaped. Are these gizzard shad? or could they possibly be baby carp? I have seen a lot of bait in my life, but this was a stunning bait show. It reminded me of the old days with schools of alewives bouncing off my hull.
    baby perch.jpg aug25 perch.jpg 30 inch cat.jpg aug25 doubles.jpg

2. Walleye whore

Walleye whore

I too fished this afternoon in front of fermi. 2-5:30 trolling crawlers. BBs worked best for me. Got 2 keeper walleye 19&21 inch. 4 undersized walleye and several sheep head and 1 cat. I also noticed several boats cruising thru restricted area. I stayed on east edge of area bouys away from fermi. Weeds almost zero. Glad to see a few walleye back in area. Fished last several weeks for perch.

3. TRACKERT

TRACKERT

I was out in late June went out early am and was shining channel on the way out and there were so many bait fish jumping and hitting my boat it was unreal, one actually ended up in the boat IMG_3018.jpg

12riverfish likes this.
  4. William H Bonney

William H Bonney

I'm unfamiliar with Anglers. Besides not going in there when she's closed, lol, is there some protocol to follow there?

gatorman841 likes this.
  5. kisherfisher

kisherfisher

Do not enter the fenced area where her minnow tank is ! Employees only !

jstfish48162 likes this.
  6. William H Bonney

William H Bonney

Ok, sounds good. If you see an old guy with a minnow bucket on the side of the road kicking stones, that's probably me.

7. wingster51

wingster51

no soup for you come back one year lol

8. William H Bonney

William H Bonney

:lol:

9. 12riverfish

12riverfish

Walleye Whore - glad you got some decent size ones. Definitely a good sign. I was on the south side of restricted area kind of tight to shore. Interesting how the wind moves the weeds.... maybe the NW wind left the weeds in close and blew the ones out deeper away? Or could that off shore wind bring weeds in from the depths? If I could ever figure how that works maybe I could spend a lot less time cleaning fouled baits!

TrackerT that thing looks like what I saw last night - though that one looks a bit larger. So I guess they must be shad 'cause if they were baby carp or something they would be bigger by now. Thx.

I am surprised some expert on here does not end this mystery. I know somebody knows...

Yes always stay out of the minnow area outside. But Anglers whole lot is fenced. Sometimes the slip renters do not lock the gate (when the store is closed) cause they expect a buddy to show up.... Do not enter the parking lot if the sign says closed. Her really big problem is people coming into her house/shop when the shop is closed - she occasionally leaves the door unlocked for various reasons. She has health problems to begin with and getting out of the shower to find a fisherman walking around inside really freaked her out! If we lose her, we lose the only regular retailer of real emeralds that I know of in lower michigan. IMO they work way better than muds, sands or shiners. Try them and see for yourself. Even if you like launching at SSP like me, I think spending an 20 extra minutes in the truck is worth it.

10. Lake Boy

Lake Boy

I dont go fishing without them.

11. terrylee86

terrylee86

Sherri did not almost shoot a guy last week. She told a guy that opened the gate and walked into a closed establishment just as she got out of the shower after closing time, that she had the right to shoot him by just walking in to her closed store. Scared the crap out of the guy too. Who does that? Walking into a closed establishment can get you shot in a lot of places. Sherri is a great lady that busts her ass for us fishermen and I think some guys don't mind their manners. Just be kind and you will be treated in kind. Going to be a rough weekend for her, tank full of great emeralds and really crappy weather. Survival rate on emeralds is low.

12. 12riverfish

12riverfish

I was probably wrong about 'almost shooting' - that was my interpretation of her stories. Though it may have just happened again, cause she told me this last episode happened early in the morning before the store opened. Either way, you are right - we should appreciate her efforts to help us and stay out when they are closed.

I was amazed to learn the emeralds come all the way from the U.P..

Carpenter Bill likes this.
  13. fisherman 2

fisherman 2

all glowing accolades about sherry now that she's got the bait...when she first opened up the so called righteous fisherman disrepected her by calling her "swamp sally"

12riverfish likes this.
  14. Carpenter Bill

Carpenter Bill

Great place to buy bait, And get a few last minute items you need before hitting the water. I always go there if she has bake little out of the way but worth it in the long run. And they also do a great job on Cleaning Your fish At a reasonable rate and perch have the skin on them. Let's be kind to her guys we don't need to lose another good bait shop And she has the best Emerald Shiners around. Treat her as you would want to be treated.

15. kisherfisher

kisherfisher

Great hardworking Lady. But to clarify , I believe she used that title on this sight until someone put the name to the business.This was when she just started the shop. Much like Sunfish Gal , who was Erics (Jeffs Baits) wife. All part of the business promotion I guess.