Auction find ?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Justin, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Justin

Justin

I recently bought a rod and reel combo at an auction. It is a Wright & McGill 6' sweetheart rod with a Abu 5000c Ambassadeur reel. It has what appears to be old braid on it. It's been many years since I've used a baitcaster but I liked both rod and reel. Any info on them is appreciated. Is it a well matched combo? What line would work best? Ect. I only paid $12 for it, didn't think I could lose for that.

2. tincanary

tincanary

Abu 5000C. The C designates it uses ball bearings for the spool instead of bushings like the classic 5000. Being a 5000, it has 3.8:1 gears whereas the 5500 models had 4.7:1. Very good and superbly built reels. They last decades.

Waif likes this.

3. Justin

Justin

Thanks for that info. I didn't know any of that. I haven't used it yet, just messed around but it feels very smooth. Any suggestion on line? The line that's on it needs to be replaced.

4. tincanary

tincanary

You'd be plenty good with 10lb or 12lb mono. I'd also suggest servicing that reel since the old grease and oil is probably nasty by now. You can also upgrade the drag to Carbontex to smooth it out even more. That's the small block Chevy of fishing reels.

5. Justin

Justin

Thanks for replying, appreciate it.

tincanary likes this.
  6. tincanary

tincanary

You're welcome. Just don't expect it to be buttery smooth or a great caster until it's gone through first. God knows how long that reel was sitting on a shelf. They really fly once serviced.

7. Justin

Justin

Yeah I won't . It does look like new though.

8. frenchriver1

frenchriver1 Mr. Flatfish Premium Member

Give it to tincanary for tuning up and you will be delighted with the results.

Justin and tincanary like this.
  9. tincanary

tincanary

Thanks for the kind words.

My typical procedure on the older 5000 reels; disassemble, degrease, polish friction points like the idler gear post, worm gear end, spool shaft ends, and brake drum. Flush the bearings in acetone and hit them with a high speed oil, install carbon fiber drag washers and hit them with some drag grease, oil the worm gear and idler gear, then grease the clutch plate assembly, main gear, and pinion gear. I also polish the frame, those chrome frames are beauties when they shine.

Here's a 1977 4500C I did for a guy in Texas last year. It was his grandfather's reel that was fished in saltwater its entire life. It wouldn't even crank when I first received it. The frame had a fair amount of salt corrosion as did the bearing cups. I ended up soaking it all in vinegar since it neutralizes salt and removes it quickly and easily. The rest I had to use a Dremel and some blue jeweler's rouge to get out the surface rust on the frame. It took some elbow grease and needed a new set of spool bearings, but it works better than new now.

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190719200748983_COVER.jpg

10. 6667supersport

6667supersport

What is your usual turn around time ?

11. tincanary

tincanary

I'm about 3 weeks out right now, assuming the mail is running smoothly.

6667supersport likes this.
  12. 6667supersport

6667supersport

PM me your address and I will send you the shimano curado 201DHSV and my two ABU Revo toro's. All three are in serious need of some love.