Au Sable River Spring Time Atlantic Salmon

Discussion in 'North - North East Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by MichiganStreamside, Apr 15, 2018.

1. MichiganStreamside

MichiganStreamside

Love seeing these Atlantic Salmon take hold in Lake Huron and the Au Sable River! Most thought it would just be a fall run in the river but now we are catching in the spring also. Got this one just before the current snow storm hit on Friday. These just love to chase down there food and this one hit a stripped fly right at the boat. Been some nice steelhead of late also!

[​IMG]

2. Firdog

Firdog

Will Atlantic’s hit beads or are they more a lure or fly type of fish?

3. MapleRiverSalmon

MapleRiverSalmon

Right now lower rivers and piers with minnows or minnow type lures. Saw 4 caught this weekend and none were up river.

4. SJC

SJC

Munuscool and DXT Deer Slayer like this.
  5. DXT Deer Slayer

DXT Deer Slayer

antlerhunter likes this.
  6. MapleRiverSalmon

MapleRiverSalmon

I'm not saying you can't get them up river, just that a lot of them are in the lower rivers is all...we caught a little king upriver in the Ausable last weekend so anything is possible

7. Fishndude

Fishndude

I caught a small Atlantic Saturday. It was chrome-bright, and wasn't a post-spawn fish. Filets were orang-ish, but not as bright as a nice chrome Steelhead I caught. Fishing wasn't hot, but the Steelhead we caught were mostly good sized fish. 5 adults, and 1 Skipper Steelhead for 2 days of fishing. I saw some polished gravel in a few places upstream of the Whirlpool, so the spawning has started. One of the hens I caught (lower river) was spawned out. The water level steadily rose all weekend. Foote pond is going to be ice-free in a couple days.

Munuscool and MapleRiverSalmon like this.