Au Sable/Rifle mid-Oct

Discussion in 'North - North East Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by troutbum248, Oct 14, 2020.

1. troutbum248

troutbum248

Hi All--I'm doing some camping near Rifle River Rec Area in a few days and will have one morning where I'm able to get out and do some actual fishing.

Looking for recommendations on either the Rifle or the Au Sable--or anywhere else. I'm thinking about heading below Foote Dam to see if there are any steelhead, but think it might be too early. I'll probably be bringing rigs for steelhead and trout, so any recs are welcome.

What do ya think? Thanks!

2. bigcreekdad@aol.com

[email protected]

I used to fish the Rifle in October regularly. The trout fishing used to be quite good, but around 5 years ago it started downhill. If you are looking to pitch streamers, the Au Sable below Mio can be productive in October, and there are decent access points where you can wade.

3. piscatorial warrior

piscatorial warrior Premium Member

Just got back from the AuSable yesterday. Saw a dozen Kings doing their thing. A bit early for Atlantics and Steelhead according to most but, I have seen quite a few Steelhead caught in rivers in October. Hopefully, someone will chime in on the Rifle's fishability.

Good Luck Man. I struck out this last weekend, but ever since I got married, I seem to suck at fishing. :sad:

Fishfighter likes this.
  4. walyking

walyking

doesnt the rifle river close to fishing oct. 1st up that way. not sure on that just hope someone would chime in. would make for a bad day to get a ticket. if its open good luck to you.

5. troutbum248

troutbum248

Just looked at the map--you're right! The Rifle in the rec area is a Type 1 stream closed after Sept 30, but downstream of Sage Lake Rd it is Type 3, open all year. Thanks for catching that! I was totally gonna fish in the rec area.

jiggin is livin likes this.
  6. troutbum248

troutbum248

I got skunked on the PM last weekend--tons of zombies swimming around me, but didn't take anything. You'll get it back ;)

7. troutbum248

troutbum248

Thanks--looks like the Au Sable might be the place to go for me.

8. tincanary

tincanary

The Rec area can be very good during the season but you will have to stake out the cooler headwaters since the main branch can get a little uncomfortably warm for trout. Seeing as right now you can only fish below Sage Lake, there is still plenty of good fishing to be had. It's very easily waded but be mindful of the deep holes.

9. oaktwng99

oaktwng99

I’ve been on the Rifle a lot recently and have seen only a handful of migratory fish and they were all on the move upstream. It seems to be early still.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

10. tincanary

tincanary

It'll probably be getting better in another week or two. Usually late October is when it starts to get going.

11. PunyTrout

PunyTrout Staff Member Mods

One of the issues I've experienced was low water conditions in the fall/winter or water volume fluctuations that effect migration and movement.

If you can time your trip right, fishing can be great. If not, no fish or sparsely populated with lock jaw is typical fishing.

Good luck.

12. oaktwng99

oaktwng99

Water has been low and with drier ground, we haven’t seen the flows increase as much as expected when it rains. Need a few solid days in a row

13. walyking

walyking

your welcome 248. wasnt sure if it had changed since my brother in law had received a ticket about 8 years ago up in that part of the river. he had a brown on his stringer when dnr came down. they told him it didnt matter that he did not know that area was closed. i hope you do well on the ausable. keep us posted. we like the updates.

swampy56 likes this.
  14. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

If you want to see some really nice browns take a drive up to the city park in Rose City. We go up that way for colors and stop at the park for lunch. You can watch them heading up to spawn. They also spawn right in the park. Just remember that it is closed to fishing.

tincanary, fisheater and walyking like this.
  15. oaktwng99

oaktwng99

Ate lunch at the park in Rose City on your advise. Very cool place. I’ll be taking my daughter there in the spring to wade and fish.