ATV advice for hunting please

Discussion in '4 Wheeling - ATVs' started by MAP1, Feb 26, 2018.

1. MAP1

MAP1

I rode dirt bikes as a kid but have been out of the loop for about 30 years. Looking to get a 4 wheeler to take to hunting land. Property is steep, hilly and thick an ATV almost a must to get a deer out. Would like to spend $2500 to $3500. Will this price range buy a decent machine? Do I need a 4x4? What minimum cc? Will $2500 buy a piece of crap? Past how many years old should I avoid buying? Possible chance of using in snow late season hunting. Any info appreciated......

2. BigRob

BigRob

I put down the coin for a new machine.. 2015 yamaha grizzly eps, 4x4. Some of the best money I've ever spent, it'll go damn near anywhere anytime. I've hauled multiple deer out of the thick, hauled literal tons of bait, and plow snow with it. It was around 9k out the door as I bought a leftover from 2 years previous (bought in 2017). I'm big on yamaha and honda personally.. used prices are ridiculous IMO it wasn't worth paying a few K for a used machine when I could spend a couple more for brand new 0 miles with warranty. Up to around 200 miles on it now.

Sasquatch Lives and plugger like this.

3. thill

thill

I bought a late 80's Honda 300 4x4 for $1,500 and it's been great! It won't win any races but has all the power I need for hauling deer, bait and plow my driveways. A bigger machine would probably offer you a more comfortable ride, but you don't have to spend a lot to get something that is reliable and will do the job.

hawgeye likes this.
  4. hawgeye

hawgeye

thill likes this.
  5. Luckymike

Luckymike

definitely get 4x4.honda all the way

6. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

I got a Suzuki Quad Runner off this site for 2k and it is fantastic. Of course I knew that as I already have a King Quad.

+250 cc and 4 wheel drive and you should be good. Many good ones and just as many bad ones. Do you research and take a good look at it.

7. Bms

Bms

Do not need anything more than 250/300cc machine to do what you want unless your going to start good plotting and stuff. I personally like smaller machines to hunt with, you can get yourself out of a jam a lot easier. Also on steep terrain I would try to stay away from belt driven, you need to be on the gas a little going down hill to keep the clutches together

FREEPOP likes this.
  8. MossyHorns

MossyHorns

I never have to give my belt driven Polaris any throttle going down hill, especially if it's in low range. The one-way bearing in my dad's Rhino quit working and it would freewheel downhill if you didn't give it some gas. Glad he sold that POS. I have a lot more free time now, because I don't have to keep fixing it.

Jimbo 09 likes this.
  9. Jimbos

Jimbos

8 weeks a year in Petoskey, 44 in Livonia
    My Polaris has an active descent control and unless you want to creep you have to give it some gas, I just shut it off.

10. Sasquatch Lives

Sasquatch Lives

I have all Hondas and no problems. You can get a new basic Honda Rancher 420 4x4 pretty reasonable. I got a new 2013 for $5600 out the door. Cheapest 4x4 I could find and bulletproof. And it has the camo finish so I can't find it in the woods.

hawgeye likes this.
  11. bucko12pt

bucko12pt

Another vote for Honda. We have probably 25-30 different ATV's at our camp of every make and model. The only brand that holds up long term, without nickel and diming you to death when they get some miles on them, is Honda. I had a Suzuki King Quad and it was a good bike, but couldn't hold a candle to a Honda.

I bought a new 300 4wd in 1996 and it starts and runs like new yet. I have a 500 Foreman 4x4 and it also runs and has held up excellent.

My only Polaris is a 800EFI Ranger. It's been a good bike, needs a belt right now. Polaris owners at our camp are always working on some Mickey Mouse thing on their bikes.

kisherfisher and thill like this.
  12. MAP1

MAP1

Thanks everyone for input much appreciated Honda 4x4 it is!!!!

hawgeye and thill like this.
  13. 1strike

1strike

I got a 02’ 350 rancher for 2500.00 it had 130 miles on it. Found a 500 foreman 07’ with 370 miles for 3800.00 this year. Both had been well maintained and serviced by dealership. I’ve only owned Honda so I can’t compare to others makes.

14. 1strike

1strike

Number one enemy is old fuel, people don’t ride em much and fuel goes bad in tank and carb. I swear by startron fuel additive, proven better than anything else. Sold in boating dept at Wally World

15. MossyHorns

MossyHorns

I only use rec fuel in my atv's and I don't ever add anything else unless it will sit for several months without being started. My local rec fuel used to come with stabilizer already in it, but not sure about the stuff they are selling now.

hawgeye likes this.