Atlantic Salmon 2019/20-Au Sable River

Discussion in 'North - North East Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by ausable_steelhead, Aug 6, 2019.

1. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

This thread is for keeping track of Atlantic catches on the Au Sable this fall/winter/spring. Can this be a sticky?

2. tincanary

tincanary

Yes sticky please. Myself and a couple of buddies are heading up the last week of October to get in on the Atlantic action.

3. PunyTrout

PunyTrout Staff Member Mods

Consider it stuck.

4. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

Thank you very much!

fish dogin likes this.
  5. june bugger

june bugger

just talk to streamside, he seems to have a handle on it

Bay BornNRaised likes this.
  6. PunyTrout

PunyTrout Staff Member Mods

Good luck to everyone. Let's hope that the Atlantic salmon fishery in Michigan will be sustainable for years to come.

7. gilly

gilly

Going to old Orchard campground this weekend. What do I need for tackle to have a shot at one. Wasn’t planning on fishing but sounds well worth it

8. tincanary

tincanary

The water will still be warm, but I've had the best luck throwing #3 and #4 Mepps, 2/5oz Little Cleos, 3/8oz Wiggle Warts, and 3/16oz Hot n Tots.

9. gilly

gilly

Sounds easy enough. I don’t really care what I catch- smallies would be great. I will have kayak too. Would I be better off going upstream from campground or downstream from dam for just casting as I float along? Thanks for reply already

10. tincanary

tincanary

If you're after salmonids, you'll probably have the best luck for those right on the pier in Oscoda later in the evening or early morning but even then it may still be too early in the season. If you're on the river itself, you'll probably pull in smallies, walleye, and pike right about now.

11. gilly

gilly

That makes sense. Timing everything for good run. I’ll prbly just go river route for all others if water still too warm for good shot at salmonoids. Of course if I start above dam that will rule out a shot at one in addition to pike and so on. So maybe go from dam down then with yak

12. Fishndude

Fishndude

If I was going up for Silver fish right now, I'd focus on the lower stretch - Whirlpool down. But I know the entire river, from Foote dam to the mouth really well; and I know where Kings (and maybe Steelhead) are likely to hold. Deep holes will hold schools of early Kings, and it IS still pretty early for the Ausable. You won't be able to see Kings in the deepest holes, but that's where they'll hold, until they are ready to move up to be close to gravel, for spawning. Floating chunks of cured Salmon Skein (eggs) under bobbers, or tossing crankbaits can be productive. Spinners can work, too - but it is tough to get them deep enough.

tincanary likes this.
  13. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

I’d focus on the Whirlpool down for early Atlantic’s. The water temp is 67*, so a few kings should be poking in as well.

I think hardware and plugs will be your best bet. You can cover water and the early fish respond best to that type of bait. Good luck!

14. gilly

gilly

Alright guys thanks for help. Never been there before and like I said camping at Old Orchard so fishing will be a plus. BTW do any of you know if you can ride a Polaris Ranger into and out of that park? Also looks like trail across from park is ATV only and I would have to get Ranger down by dam to get onto “ORV” section of Trail?

15. mfs686

mfs686

Fishing with them 11/2.