At night for yotes???

Discussion in 'Basic Varmint Hunting Techniques' started by Denny jr, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Denny jr

Denny jr

Ive always hunted daytime for coyotes, but I recently tryed night time for them. First two nights out, I got yotes to come in both times, within 10min of calling!!! Very exciting stuff. Im using the .22, and both times I missed em. My question is this...can shotguns be used for nighttime predetor hunting? With rifles, I believe the rule is rimfire only after dark...but I heard that I can use the shotgun...is this right, or legal? The 20ga pump would REALLY help out where Im hunting...but I dont want to break any laws. Also, how bad ould I be tearing up pelts with the small shots in the 20ga?? I do hunt for fur, anddont want to ruin them.

Thanks,
    -Denny

2. varminthunter

varminthunter

yes you can use a shot gun. I like using #4 buckshot 12 gauge on them. Better wait for somone else to tell you what loads are legal for night hours. Only one im sure thats leagal for night use is dead coyote load but it is expensive..

3. boutdun

boutdun Premium Member

Just wondering what color they are cause I let the dog out the other night an shined a spotlight around the field behind house to make sure there wern't any polekats for the lab to play with an I saw three pair oe eyes about 100-150 yards out in the field they were as best as I could judge about big dog high an they shined yellow or gold,when I light the dog up she's red so its got me puzzled?

4. Denny jr

Denny jr

Thanks Varminthunter....exactly what I wanted to hear. How bad does the 4 shot tear up the pelt? Bad? I was thinking of using heavy game load, 7 1/2 shot, or maybe even #2 steel? I think the 2 shot may not tear up the pelt AS bad...I dunno about the 7 1/2, I will have to check it out on a paper target to see what kind of group Im dealing with. I know that using shot is gonna bang the pelt up a little...a lot more than a rifle, thats for sure. But, I do want to lay some of these yotes down around here regardless...there is soooo many of them and they are terrors! Im sick of making crack-shots with the 22 and missing...not to mention the dangers of a 22 round wizzing all over Gods green earth, Im just glad that there is alot of acherage behind the house or I wouldnt even attempt to fire the ol duece duece! Thanks for the response!
    -Denny

BTW, I am not quite sure what color the eyes light up on a yote...I believe they are orange-red? Sounds like you have a walleye floating around your woods!! LMAO! -Denny

5. wadevb1

wadevb1

The minimum I use is number 2's. You will be wasting your time with 7 shot.

6. yooperbsn

yooperbsn

#4 Dead Coyote loads. No buckshot, slugs, or cut loads from a shot gun at night. rimfire only.

7. varminthunter

varminthunter

Dont use 7 shot unless hunting black birds. Use #4 buckshot in daylight hours (i guess not leagal for night), And use a load like dead coyote at night.
    Also i have seen minimal pelt damage with using #4 buckshot.Not sure for fox though, it may damage them a little more.

8. SNAREMAN

SNAREMAN

Since we can't use buck-shot for night hunting (for now)you want to use the biggest lead-shot size you can get (at least BB size)the bigger the better.Stay away from the steel water fowl shot,it does not work well on coyotes

9. Mitchell Ulrich

Mitchell Ulrich

I'll stick with my semi auto .22 mag.

Twice the distance of a shot gun and only 1 hole.

10. motorcityhtps

motorcityhtps

:yeahthat:

If you're going to use a shotgun, loads must be F-sized or smaller.

Check out this shotgun pellet-size chart to clear up any confusion.
    http://www.wilsonprecision.com/shotinfo.html

Also, unless you want to pay 2.50-3.00 a shell for coyote-specific shells or 3 1/2 collarbone breakers, I would recommend using lead loads that used to be marketed as duck/geese shells before they switched to non-toxic and steel. They will give you the best penetration at a fraction of the cost of those coyote-specific shells.

11. motorcityhtps

motorcityhtps

Predator eyes light up red, so I'd say probably a trio of yearling deer.

12. Jeffrey Hamlin

Jeffrey Hamlin

Just curious...where would you find the aforementioned shells?

13. motorcityhtps

motorcityhtps

Now keep in mind that I've never patterned any of these shells, but look at the HUGE price difference when the word "coyote" is on the label. Also, both of these loads are lead, not non-toxic.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=889726
    $1.39 per round.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=610636
    $4.60 :yikes: per round. (just because it's marketed as a "coyote" round)

I'm not saying one round is better than the other, but the cheaper round actually has 3/8oz. MORE lead in it, yet is over 3 times more expensive :SHOCKED:

14. Horseshoer

Horseshoer

just making sure I am legal on my 22 mag can I use those lights that attach to the scope and have a button that turns them on they sell them in Cabelas

15. jlcrss

jlcrss

What kind of light are you all using? I was planing on using a red spot light.