At least 17 families,

Discussion in 'Sportsmen of Faith' started by GIDEON, Feb 16, 2018.

1. GIDEON

GIDEON

Are now in need of the peace, comfort and understanding that only God can, give. For two days I have been praying that God comforts those in need. God be with all the parents suffering through this senseless tragedy. Give them the peace and understanding that they must so desperately now need..

2. GIDEON

GIDEON

Friends, part of the challenge we face when dealing with events like the shooting in Florida is our perspective of the nature of the world we live in. We are Americans living in America at a time of unprecedented prosperity. Bad things aren’t supposed to happen to us. Especially not to our children. But if we lift our gaze just beyond our horizon and consider the state of the majority of the world, we’ll see that human depravity is alive and well and on display for the entire world to watch. Do you remember Aleppo, or have you forgotten so quickly? This most recent school shooting is shocking to us because we live where we live, but children are dying horrible deaths around the world by the thousand each and every day.

Let’s also take a moment to clarify something about killings and weapons here at home. More homicides are committed in the U.S. by people using their bare hands, screwdrivers, hammers, baseball bats and other ordinary things each year than with firearms. We don’t label these non firearms “assault-hammers” or other such things. The plain truth is that people assault people and things do not. In this most recent shooting, a semi automatic rifle was used. It’s not an assault rifle. It’s a semi automatic rifle. Three of the rifles I own are made of wood and steel. They look different, but mechanically, they are identical to the rifle used yesterday- they are semi automatic rifles. They are not assault rifles. People assault people because, left to our own designs, we are capable of evil, to a lesser or greater extent. The various things we use as weapons when we assault each other can not do evil, but mankind can do evil with those things. That is what is at the heart of this issue. Mankind is capable of evil and does do evil things. It’s only by the grace of God that we are restrained from doing all the evil desires of our hearts. That grace is a sign of his mercy and has been extended to us by God as a means to accomplish His will and for His glory.

So our society asks, “How can we change people so that they won’t do such horrible things?” The answer is that we can’t. Look around, if you doubt this. Has human nature changed that much since we started recording human history? Yes, some country’s have passed laws from time to time that make their people feel safe, but has human nature changed? Is there less war, less brutality, less hunger, less discrimination or less ......(you fill in the next one.) Maybe here in America, depending on who you ask, but consider for a moment the people living in North Korea, Syria, Sudan, Appalachia, South Chicago, or the other places we could name. Would those people say that mankind is better now than before? It’s easy to see the truth when we take off the prosperity tinted glasses most us view the world through. Evil is alive and well.

I’m going to throw a hand grenade into the discussion regarding how we view the tragedies and joys of life. If you are a bible believing Christian, like me, you know that our God is a good God. He can only do good. He is a sovereign God who controls all things that happen in heaven and on earth. Nothing happens that is outside of His will or control. The shooting in Florida happened. It did not happen outside of His will. He willed that it would happen, therefore it must be for some good reason because He is a good God. We ask, “What good could possibly come from tragedies like this?” As a Christian, we must seek the answer to this question.

The Bible affirms all the statements I made above about the nature of God. If the Bible is true, then the Christian can find comfort in seeking what good purpose God has for the terrible things that happen in the world and the wonderful things that happen to us as well. For the Christian, His goodness is our only hope. His sovereignty, or absolute control over all things, allows us to trust in His promises. He is where we find the answers to life’s questions. For the believer, “His sovereignty is the pillow that the Christian rests his head on at night.”

For the non Christian there is also hope. God often uses tragedy to bring people to Himself. He creates an awareness of the presence of evil in the world, and upon reflection, will see the presence of evil in themselves and realize that this evil has separated them from knowing and loving God. They will turn to Him for deliverance from this evil and experience His forgiveness. They will be restored to a right relationship with Him and find the peace of God and the promise of an eternity in heaven with Him. Others, will look at this same event and see the evil in man and in God. They will shake their fist at God and blame Him for the evil they feel in themselves and see in the world. They will go away from God, put their faith in the things of man and have no peace with God. They will spend eternity separated from Him.

This is one of the great mysteries of the Christian faith. God often uses difficult times to bring people into relationship with Himself. If you feel that He may be reaching out to you, but you have questions, talk with your pastor, or a Christian friend. You can also get a hold of me. I’d be glad to answer any questions you have.

In these difficult days, I pray that my Christian friends will find hope and encouragement in these words. For my friends who do not know the peace of God, I pray that one day you too will feel His loving presence in your life, experience His peace and be able to look forward to an eternity with Him.

Carpenter Bill and itchn2fish like this.

3. skagitmaster

skagitmaster

I know there has and will be much ink spilled on this but please dont confuse the decretive will and permissive will of God. He is incapable of thinking, choosing, willing, and causing evil in any form. God is not the causal agent of evil activity.