1. jmckeon

jmckeon

Anyone know of places round midland or bay county i can find asparagus growing would like the get a lil bit. Wild grown taste way better than store bought

2. Dish7

Dish7

Yes and I prefer wild morels to the dried up store bought ones. Could somebody post their best spots for me? LOL, just kidding, go for a drive on the back roads, you'll spot some.

Scout 2 likes this.

3. jmckeon

jmckeon

Ya wasnt looking for anyones hot spots just never picked it wild my dad has and checked areas he told me about but areas were either killed off or no longer growing and when u work 12 m-14 hour shifts driving down back roads slow in middle of night is attention i dont need. So ya thanx for ur mouth but no thanx.

4. Fishndude

Fishndude

No need to get huffy. Most people who have invested the time to search for, and find places where they can harvest wild Asparagus, are not usually willing to share the locations on a website that is viewed by 10's of thousands of people daily. I know people who have picked wild Asparagus for years, and even decades. They sometimes harvest big bags (the old large paper grocery bags) at a time. But they will NOT tell others where the find the Asparagus - cuz then everyone would be there, harvesting the shoots.

It is tough to spot Asparagus when they are just sprouting, if you are driving down the road. But it is pretty easy to spot them later in Summer, when their tops are "fronds" that are spilling all over. Find 'em in late summer, and make note of the places. Then go back the following spring to harvest some. It works. And once you've made that effort, feel free to share your spots with others, on here. ;)

P.S. The people I knew who were big into harvesting wild Asparagus, lived in Bay City.

NEW HUDSON WALT likes this.
  5. Big Skip

Big Skip

I know the wild asparagus I found is more expensive than store bought w the miles i put on to find it. As mentioned above this is spot on, find it in the fall pick in the spring. Find a bunch though cause there is competition!

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

6. Dish7

Dish7

I sad I was just kidding LOL. Maybe get some sleep then try to look for it in the daylight hours... much easier to spot and no unwanted attention...whatever that is. ;)

7. Scout 2

Scout 2

My problem is I find it in the fall and then forget where I found it at come spring. It grows all over in many place up here on the ditch banks. Last year I was going over to a friends house and cut across his hay field and there it was growing all over in one part of the hay field. But that field is now corn so I guess that is out

8. Big Skip

Big Skip

Make a map so u dont forget! 20180517_170655.jpg

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

Howard Baumann and Fishndude like this.
  9. capper

capper Premium Member

My Mom and Grandmother both loved wild asparagus - so on spring - Sunday afternoons Dad would take us for rides out in the farm country and we would all look for the new young spears along the ditch banks and fence rows - I hated eating it - still do matter of fact - but I enjoyed spotting it for the folks. Those were good times! I noticed last summer, when I went back to escape a hurricane down here, that some of those patches from back in the 40's and 50's are still producing.

Howard Baumann and Dish7 like this.
  10. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer

50% of people will have stinky pee after eating asparagus .Just thought you should know .

11. NEW HUDSON WALT

NEW HUDSON WALT

I have been doing great this season....all my spots I have found over the years
    have been producing very good.:):):) IMG_2262.JPG

capper and Howard Baumann like this.
  12. Dish7

Dish7

Count me in the 50% :eek: LOL. Unreal this year. I grow my own. Maybe too much fertilizer last year LOL.

13. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

OK. Who is going to start a survey:D? FM