close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

As turkey season approaches...

Discussion in 'Taxidermy' started by Ebowhunter, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Ebowhunter

Ebowhunter

Turkey for your Taxidermist

If you can not get the bird cooled or to your taxidermist in a timely manner or wish to utilize the meat:

Tail/Beard/Legs/Wings
    These can be done before or after field dressing for the above mounts.

Ø Cut the tail off close to the body and leave as much skin/feather as reasonable without taking skin off the body.
    Ø Cut the beard off by leaving a little skin around the base. The attachment skin must remain intact.
    Ø Cut the leg skin where the feathers meet the scales and separate the leg by cutting the tendons to release the joint.
    Ø Cut the wings off by working the knife through the muscle and tendons to remove the entire ball joint. The scapulars (feathers on the body/shoulder of the bird) do not need to go with the wing.

Lifesize Mount
    This should be done prior to field dressing.

Ø Currently, the cut method is to “crotch” the turkey. Crotching is running the knife blade down the leg from the inside of the knee joint across the abdomen and up/down the other leg. By alternating the use of the knife and fingers, the skin can be separated from the body.
    Ø The legs need to be separated from the body at the knee joint – leave the drumstick with the skin. Cut through the anus/intestine on the inside of the skin.
    Ø Remove the tail as noted above. The bottom of the bird should be free from the body. The body can then be tipped on the front of the chest so that the skin can be worked free of the body down to the shoulders. The wings should be separated as above but left attached to the rest of the skin.
    Ø The head can be removed by cutting the neck off at the body junction.
    Ø The skin can then be rolled up (skin side in), double plastic bagged (without air), frozen, and delivered to your taxidermist in a timely manner.

The body can be dressed/cleaned as desired and cooked to perfection for enjoyment.

Of course, all of the above is unnecessary if you can get your bird to the taxidermist in a timely manner without the desire to preserve the meat.

2. 2PawsRiver

2PawsRiver Premium Member

If I am lucky enough to get a nice Tom this spring I will want to do a mount that involves the Fan, Beard and Spurs. Have seen these mounted to a wooden plaque. Are you familiar with, do you do and any idea what the cost of such a mount would be.

Also If I follow the instructions for removing the rail, beard and feet, can I overnight them for mounting.

3. Ebowhunter

Ebowhunter

There is a picture in my gallery of a tail/beard with feet.

Tail/beard on plaque (engraved): $75
    w/feet: $100
    w/wings: $150

Overnight is fine after they have been frozen.

4. 2PawsRiver

Thanks for the information. Hopefully I will need your services this spring. I am however unable to see the Turkey mounty. I click on the upland bird thinking that is the link to it, but nothing happens.

5. Ebowhunter

Ebowhunter

It is in the photo gallery hosted by M-S. The camera on the title line.

6. Ebowhunter

Ebowhunter

It is in the photo gallery hosted by M-S. The camera on the title line.

[​IMG]

7. 2PawsRiver

Very nice, thank you.

8. MountNMan

MountNMan

If you are getting your mount done by a taxidermist, I would call him/her first, and ask them about removing anything from the turkey before you cut into it. As a taxidermist, I will only work on a bird that I have skinned myself.

toepincher likes this.
  9. jsbowman

jsbowman

@ 2Paws, so you can see what they look like with wings. I had this one done with my last bird.

10. jsbowman

jsbowman

Didn't post the fist try.

Attached Files:

11. MountNMan

MountNMan

Latest Turkey Mount

[​IMG]

12. retired dundo

retired dundo

I was checking price list for local taxidermy.I could not understand why it cost more to mount a turkey fan and beard and feet than deer antler.I do my own and seems like antlers are a lot more work than turkey