Arrow Gurus

Discussion in 'Archery' started by eboll, Jul 4, 2020.

1. eboll

eboll

My rest doesn't have vertical adjustment, so Pier Pressure moved my nocking point, serving a new string loop. After some more tweaks in the bow press, and me fixing my grip pressure, I got some good results. Bare shaft and fletched arrows coming in very close to being the same.

Attached Files:

alaska86, thill and U of M Fan like this.
  2. eboll

eboll

Tonight I got my broadheads from VPA (125 grain 3 blade), and they shot great with my field points. Just a touch lower at 20 yards. I think some of that gap was caused by me being afraid to clip those beautiful new fletchings haha. So total arrow stats are 26 inch, 100 grain brass inserts, 125 grain heads,3 right helical 3.6 inch flex fletch vanes, for a total arrow weight of 488 grains and a 18 percent foc.
    Huge shout out to Pier Pressure for building the arrows, and helping me get my bow tuned. I can't say enough about your generosity. I plan on acquiring my own supplies to build arrows in the future. Will be also looking to buy a bow press.
    On a side note, these arrows hit hard and are soooooo quiet.

Attached Files:

3. NoJoe

NoJoe

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My arrows for the season. Will be shooting the 125gr Magnus Stinger

eboll likes this.
  4. Pier Pressure

Pier Pressure

Eric, it was my pleasure. Glad I could help.

HUBBHUNTER2 and Eyecon like this.
  5. Eyecon

Eyecon

Solid info gentlemen. I am interested in this process as well. I watch all of the THP videos and this year I decided I’d be switching from a xbow to compound after the season. Well I broke my xbow so I bought a compound bow last week. When I told the guy at the archery shop what arrows I wanted he said they’ll be to stiff and he had 340’s. Well I bought the 340’s so I could start shooting. Ranch fairy says shoot a 250 and 300 see which one shoots better. Is there a place to buy single arrows? Or do I have to buy 6 packs of each?

6. eboll

eboll

Bens great outdoors in marlette sells single arrows. They had 250 and 300 spine. South Shore archery sells individuals too.

Eyecon likes this.
  7. thill

thill

I had to buy them in pairs. If you happen to be in west MI I can lend or sell you a 300 and 250 rampage.

Eyecon likes this.
  8. Eyecon

Eyecon

Thanks I appreciate the offer. But I’m in the flint area.

thill likes this.
  9. o_mykiss

o_mykiss

You can buy single arrows from Lancaster Archery Supply online. They'll even cut em and install components for you if you want

Eyecon likes this.
  10. 22 Chuck

22 Chuck

Wont the shops let you shoot their arrows, at their ranges, and see what you need and then buy from them, of course. I see ranges at shops I thought that was one reason.

11. Newaygo1

Newaygo1

High FOC is Overrated! I appreciate that some think it is important but a Well Tune Bow and Set Up is part as well as Making the Shot. I have always gone with a Double Lung Shot and The deer have all gone down in 75 yards usually Much Less. I get some want to penetrate a shoulder but most cannot make that shot, I know I can hit the Lungs and have so I never WORRY About FOC, as my shooting whether FPs or BHs hit the same Spot so I cannot "worry" about much But Practice Practice Practice so I can make the "SHOT"! I shoot 2514 Easton XX75 which are no longer available with a Magnus Stinger 2 Blade 125 at 60 Lbs and my bow is a 1997 model year, speed is also Not Everything either, Making the Shot Consistently is The most Important Part, playing with these Hype Ideas is just a waste when You Could be Shooting and Practicing and fine tuning Your Shooting Skills!
    Newaygo1

12. o_mykiss

o_mykiss

I wouldn't worry a heck of a lot with a heavy aluminum arrow and a 125 grain fixed blade either...

If you make a perfect shot, FOC doesn't matter too much. I was on that train for a long time and still am, sort of

IF you make an imperfect shot, it becomes a heck of a lot more important, along with broadhead integrity

13. eboll

eboll

I do agree, as I think it could be a bit much, especially on whitetails- especially when you see some guys going with 800 grain total weight setups. However, getting onto the high foc bandwagon forced me to practice more. It made me make sure my bow was tuned. It made me mess around and tinker to seek perfect arrow flight. I also now use fixed heads which are super easy to keep razor sharp. All good things. My total arrow weight isn't that much different that what I used to use, just has more weight up front. I agree with you- perfect arrow flight and accuracy trump anything else that people try to do.

jrose likes this.
  14. Eyecon

Eyecon

I’m a complete newb to shooting a bow. I shot mine at the store before I bought it and that was the first time ever shooting a compound bow. That was on 11/11/20. I love it! I shoot everyday and have built up to 100 shots in one session. Also practicing holding at full draw then shooting. I’ve worn out the bullseye on my cheap target and am buying a new one today.

Why do I want a high foc adult arrow? Watching the THP videos was a HUGE part in me switching from a crossbow to a compound. Their arrow research seems to make to much sense for me to ignore it.

But being so new I have lots of questions. Is the weighted insert in the end of the arrow factored into the arrow length?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020 at 9:14 AM
  15. o_mykiss

o_mykiss

Well you can have high FOC in a crossbow too. Principle is really the same

You want a high-ish FOC arrow because it aids in penetration. The weight-forward nature of the broadhead/insert combination kind of pulls the arrow through

If you have a low-FOC arrow it can be kind of like using a big hammer to hit a penny nail into hardwood - if you strike perfectly, it's fine. But if you are off just a tiny bit with your angle, your nail is gonna bend over and not penetrate the wood

Arrow length is typically measured "carbon to carbon". So if you have an insert contained within the carbon end of the arrow, yes it is all included

Eyecon likes this.