Are decoys that important

Discussion in 'MichiganTurkey.com' started by melvvin, Apr 6, 2008.

1. melvvin

melvvin

Somebody prolly gonna get mad but I think we worry to much about what our decoys look like. I'm convinced calling and where you setup are way more important. If you can fire up a big tom and convince him your a sweet hen he will come in and mount the worst looking plastic decoy ya got he dont care. I used to have 4 hen decoys together with a flambeau decoy that was beautiful yet when a tom would come in he wanted the ugliest decoy in the flock every dang time now I just use 2 ugly Betty's and they work just fine. This is just my opinion wanna hear what everybody else has to say.:idea:

2. Ack

Ack

I never used decoys when hunting with a shotgun, but now that I am hunting with a bow and blind it's a little different story. If you are mainly hunting IN the woods you don't need them...once you get that tom convinced and he is on his way, just lay off the calls and he will walk right into your lap. When hunting fields they can be helpful to draw birds close to your setup, but I think the more time a tom has to study that decoy, the more hesitant he may be to come in.

3. Bachflock

Bachflock

I had a solo hen decoy out and the tom I shot last spring was dancing all around her. Compared to a real hen it was mediocre at best as far as looks. Then last fall I didn't even stick a decoy in the ground. My dad bagged his bird and I had birds within shooting distance twice without decoys. I think you have to have something that doesn't have obviously flaws or something so unnatural that it will stand out to a bird. In the spring when hormones are the ruling party even some significant flaws may be over looked. I agree with Ack, however. I can see where a decoy may make the difference if hunting with a bow. Gives the tom something to focus his attention on and may buy you just enough time to get off a good shot.

4. HunterHawk

HunterHawk

i wont hunt without decoys... all i do is hunt with a bow though... but i still dont see a big difference... i shot my 1st turkey with a gun and it was coming hard to the decoy... i would suggest decoys!

5. Molson

Molson

often times I don't use a decoy... location & calling are primary for me

6. Firefighter

Firefighter

Decoys......

I've had Toms run to em.....

I've had Toms run away from em.....

Depends on the day, situation, time, pressure, mood, lunar cycle, length of grass, weather in cambodia, and finally... the turkey.:lol:

Seriously, I rarely use decoys cause I rarely hunt open areas. Most of my birds have met their maker in close quarters while they were looking for me. And even when hunting open areas, i'm not a huge fan of dekes cause the Tom is liable to set up shop and wait for the dekes to go to him like theyre supposed to. But, they've got their uses...

7. flockshot

flockshot

me and firefighter hunt together most years, and we've both seen the same things, sometimes i cant imagine how we could have killed that bird without them, some other years, we could have killed absolute monsters had that stupid decoy not been out. We find thats its far better to set up a caller (if you have two people) behind the shooter. that way the birds , if they do hang up, hang up in range, or the walk past the shooter looking for the bird. dead birds. either way. the only time i find myself using decoys anymore is if im setting up mid day in some timber and calling for those unbred searching toms.

8. multibeard

multibeard Premium Member

9. wally-eye

wally-eye Guest

The perfect decoy??? My bird feeder filled with sunflower seed...........:rant:

Flock of 10 to 30 depending on the day and tonight 6 long beards eating underneath my bird feeder.....

Oh ya I don't turkey hunt............

Tom, you can set up in my yard if you want..........wouldn't be much challenge though...:evil:

10. Critter

Critter

If my setup is right I don't bother, but it rarely is so decoys have become a big part of our game. We mainly hunt ag land so decoys help to pull em across a field, sometimes lol. I've never had em run from them but I have had em ignore em and hang up but that might not have had anything to do with the decoy.

11. old graybeard

old graybeard

My luck with them runs about 50-50. I have had Tom's totally ignore them and I've had them come running to them but I have never had them run away from them.

12. FISH

FISH Guest

usually they help me seal the deal, i always use them if it's possible

13. mr bill

mr bill Guest

i have had hens come in and beat the crap out of the deke...but gettting a tom to come has been a different story. i have gotten a few birds with dekes but i have to say i do better without them.

14. fishnfeathers

fishnfeathers

Last year I used hen decoys for the first time and I had hens and toms coming in on them all day. In fact they were so close to me I couldn't move because I would have scared them away. This year I am going to try the Primos B-Mobile and see how that works. I even used the fan off my tom from last year. I can't say anything bad about decoys, but calling is just as important to keep them coming in though. Last year I scored a 21.5lb. tom with a 10.5" beard so we'll see what happens this year.:D