Archery shops in West Michigan.

Discussion in 'Archery' started by Lumberman, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Lumberman

Lumberman Premium Member

I’m looking at picking up a new bow this spring. Next few weeks.

The last two bows I’ve purchased have been Matthews and both from Archery Unlimited. That being said my current compound is over 15 years old so it’s time. These new bows are completely foreign to me. Haha

If I’m going to drop $2k on setup I would like to work with an individual that really knows their stuff. The shop doesn’t so much matter as long as I can work with knowledgeable individual.

I live in Grand Haven and work in GR so basically anywhere in west Michigan would work.

Any recommendations?

I’m probably looking at Matthews but I’m not against trying out other brands. Darton possibly.

2. Just Lucky

Just Lucky

We are fortunate to have three very strong pro shops in our area. Grand Valley Sporting Goods in Allendale, Long Range Archery in Holland and Archery Unlimited in Grand Rapids are 3 shops staffed by excellent people & bow technicians. From Grand Haven, all require a bit of a drive but should be able to offer you an excellent selection of bow choices with very strong staff to support you and your purchase. Have fun!

Regarding Darton: Long Range Archery may carry Darton but I don't believe GVSG or AUI handle Darton. Again, a shop visit or telephone call will serve you well.

thill likes this.

3. Sewey

Sewey

I was in a similar situation, had a bow that was at least 10 years old, and was wanting/needing to upgrade as it was time to catch up with new technology and engineering.

I've always owned Hoyt's, but I went in to Hale's True Value in Dowagiac and shot a Bowtech and Mathews along with the new Hoyt RX-1. Now I am biased towards Hoyt and had already had my heart set on the RX-1, but the other two did have smooth draw cycles and the Mathews was very quiet.

I ended up buying the Hoyt, it shot really well, was super quiet as well, and it was just what I wanted at the end of the day. The guys over at Hale's were great, they were patient with me, answering all my questions, setting up the different bows for me to test fire, and ultimately setting up my new bow and making sure I was completely taken care of.

The sticker shock of a new bow and setup does sting a bit, but I have no regrets for spending the time and money on upgrading. I can't wait to chase a big tom with it this spring, and it'll be with me in Colorado on my first elk hunt this September.

Good luck in your buying decision, and have fun during the process!

Lumberman likes this.
  4. atp500

atp500

Might be too far for you but worth the trip. Hesperia Sport Shop. Owned by 2 brothers, Jim and Terry. Jim knows the bow stuff!! I feel it would be worth the trip. Call ahead, Jim works Wednesday thru the weekend and his wife is currently going through cancer treatments. They carry Matthews, Hoyt, Mission etc.

Lumberman likes this.
  5. Lumberman

Lumberman Premium Member

Looks like they carry both Darton and Matthews. Maybe I’ll give Them a try. Thanks.

6. OAKSnPINE

OAKSnPINE

I've been to the all around the west MI area and id recommend Long Range in Holland. They are fantastic on tech. Carry a nice range of bows too.

Can't of wrong with those guys...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

smith34 likes this.
  7. hellbilly

hellbilly

8. bwlacy

bwlacy

There is also a Darton guy in Lowell I think.

Red Arrow Archery
    616-901-1778

Darton makes some nice stuff too. Never dealt with this shop. I got his card at the hunting expo at the Darton booth.

9. Hear fishy fishy

Hear fishy fishy

Another vote for long range archery.

10. Ranger Ray

Ranger Ray Smells like, Victory! Premium Member

I have dealt with Long Range and Hesperia. No complaints.

11. Swampdog467

Swampdog467

We use Kruizenga Archery in Mattawan. Good people, very knowledgeable. They also work with us on getting our 4h club set up with equipment.
    I know they deal Mathews, not sure about Darton.

Sent from my XT1585 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

12. smith34

smith34

I’ve had good luck with these guys too. Knowledgeable, and willing to stock quality stuff too (also carry the same average stuff all shops carry).

13. Bucman

Bucman

All good places I’m sure. I’ve bought at Grand Valley and Hesperia and had work done at archery unlimited. Go to them and see how You relate to the guys working there. It matters! The bows are all about the same nowadays.
    There is the outdoorsmen pro shop in Jenison also that sells pse. Enjoy the search I’m envious.

14. Setter

Setter

I really like my Darton and they are a Michigan Company with lots of experience and knowledge. Darton develops lots of cams for other bow manufacturers.