Apprentice hunting question

Discussion in 'MichiganTurkey.com' started by melvvin, Apr 20, 2014.

1. melvvin

melvvin

It says in the guide the accompanying hunter needs a 2014 turkey hunting license. I have a ZZ tag my apprentice hunter has the 234 hunt. My question is if I tag a bird is my license still good to take app. hunter in the 234 hunt?

2. gilligan_33

gilligan_33

I would say yes. I'm basing this on the fact that the license that the accompanying hunter doesn't necessarily have to be for the same season as the apprentice hunter. I think the idea is just that they have purchased a legal license regardless of whether or not they have filled it.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

3. FreeTime

FreeTime

I did it with my daughter a couple years ago. I ended up calling DNR. An apprentice tag is good for ANY open season. The "guide" can have any tag. This is basically to assure that the person teaching is supposedly qualified.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

4. melvvin

melvvin

Thanks for the replies guys. I called the DNR too and was told I could still be a mentor even with a filled tag. Hope the woman I talked to knows the rules.

5. Cobb1973

Cobb1973

I had a co check me last year. I had filled my tag in montmorency county and was mentoring in Saginaw county,and he said that was fine even though my tag was filled it was still considered a valid license for mentoring!

Sent from my PantechP4100 using Ohub Campfire mobile app