close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Apple tree root stock

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Habitat' started by salmon slayer2, Jan 11, 2018.

1. fairfax1

fairfax1

Upon reflection......I may add those 'side-grafts' to the roots I worked on tonight.
    I can't see how it could hurt......and I do have room on the root to fit in a side-graft.....and I got the scion material.

If that is a bingo....come May when growth shows, well, I owe someone a bomber of Scotch Ale.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  2. Tumble Leaf

Tumble Leaf

what is the length you cut the fencing to put around your apples, I don't want them to outgrow the cage the first few years.

3. hk_sl8

hk_sl8

My link was for 5', but it actually 6' that I used. By cutting the last horizontal strand, the hoops are 5'8" tall around the trees.

4. salmon slayer2

salmon slayer2

What are your thoughts on this weekend for some grafting in the field? I've kept my honey crisp cuttings in the fridge in a ziplock with a moist paper towel. The weather looks like it may finally be warming up!

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

5. nothbound

nothbound

I'd wait until bark is slipping for field grafts

6. Direwolfe

Direwolfe

Bark slipping + field grafts = bud graft. I field graft whip and tongue or cleft with success at this time.

salmon slayer2 likes this.
  7. Wareagle1

Wareagle1

I agree with DireWolfe. Now till the leaves are popping out. Reminder of the old axiom, "when the leaves are as big as mouse ears"...Which my gut / experience says is a little late - maybe not late but no reason to wait until then. Bud swell is good enough.