close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Apple tree info needed.

Discussion in 'Wildlife Habitat' started by laserstraight, Aug 7, 2017.

1. laserstraight

laserstraight

Back in 2012 I planted 3 different types of apple trees. 3 of each(9 total) on my property in mason county. Johnny gold, red del and golden del.
    The first couple of years they all bloomed but no apples. The third year one tree bloomed and had a couple of apples.
    The 4 and 5th years none of the trees bloomed. This year the tree that had a couple of apples bloomed some but there are no apples.
    I know the soil is not very good, if I remember correctly it had a PH around 3.5
    Would this cause the tree not to have apples? There are other trees on the surrounding properties that have apples.(older trees) Heck there is one crab tree on my property right next to one the apple trees that has had crab apples the last few years.

I do fertilize with fruit tree spikes.
    Would adding lime now do any good? When lime breaks down does is disperse into soil?
    Or does is just stay at the level in the soil that it was added?
    They all look fairly healthy to me. Maybe they just need a few more years of growth?
    Any suggestions?

Thanks
    LS

2. hawgeye

hawgeye

Sounds like you needs some bees to me.

3. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

4. Dish7

Dish7

Are they planted in a low area prone to frost? Could they be blooming then the blossoms getting frozen? And by low area I don't necessarily mean wet. Could be an area where cold air can settle and create frost even when frost is not apparent in other places.

5. FugOwEe

FugOwEe

I'd say you need some bees as well. More bees the better obviously. We have 10 apple trees on our property and we were told years ago to make sure you have at least one crab apple tree around.

6. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer

There is a reason why when you see apple orchards you have lots in the same area .Its because wind and late frost are less apt to ruin the harvest .I am in a frost pocket and my trees are very unpredictable at producing but I most always get some to produce .If you need bees plant a few acres of clover and they may start wild colonies nearby .My bee population exploded a couple years after planting white clover .

Dish7 likes this.
  7. wicklundrh

wicklundrh Premium Member

I would head over to the Mason County Fruit Packers on Chavez just East of old 31 and pick their brains. They know the area very well and might have some great info for you.

Another good resource is Grassa's on 10. They might help you out along with the MSU ag extension.

If you get no answers there, shoot me a message. I have a friend who's family owned the a lot of orchards in Shelby. She has a masters degree with MSU specifically in fruit trees and works for MSU in regards to pruning, planting, and all stuff related.

My family is from the area so I am familiar with it. Check the locals first. Best source of information.

slowpaya likes this.
  8. laserstraight

laserstraight

They are close to a low area, but there is a crab apple tree that blooms at the same time as the one that had some blooms. But maybe the frost effect the apple trees more.

9. laserstraight

laserstraight

10. laserstraight

laserstraight

I do have a crab apple right by them, but only one. maybe I will add another

11. laserstraight

laserstraight

Thanks for the info, I only have like 3.5 acres mostly wooded, but I do have a small area that I could add some clover. I will say there is a big white pine right in the middle that typical has a big nest of bees in the truck. Not what they are.

12. laserstraight

laserstraight

T
    Thank you I will talk with them. I have been meaning to stop and talk with one of the local orchards.

hawgeye likes this.