Anything I can throw and grow RIGHT NOW?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Habitat' started by d_rek, Sep 1, 2020.

1. vsmorgantown

vsmorgantown

Wait until you know its going to rain then seed right before that event. This way the rye will germinate quickly and give those little varmint thieves less chance to eat it.

2. Hunters Edge

Hunters Edge

I would highly advise heavily broadcasting lime then tilling it in. In your posts you refer to it as a grassy trail. All I see from your pictures unless I am mistaken is moss. Which indicates acidic soil. Also because of a trail it is packed tight so if you can rake it ok but better would be to use a tiller. Unfortunately it will bring up unwanted seed bed. It will help mix and loosen packed ground but will help with getting the lime to work and offer a good seed bed. Also the lime today will help next year in case you try growing something else on that trail.
    Because of it being a trail and constantly being packed I am also recommending you use radishes with whatever you decide to plant. Radishes work to open up compacted dirt, thus the reason I mentioned adding it to your seed mix next year around August 1st.

Also if you do till it even with bringing up or opening up unwanted seed many will not survive this time of year. And the rye you plant should help also to suppress what weeds or seeds that become exposed.

3. CDN1

CDN1

Do you have any way to break up the hard packed surface even try spinning the tires on an atv or pound some spike through a board and strap some bricks to the board and drag it around just to scarify the surface. Spin out some pellet lime and replant your rye.

jiggin is livin and d_rek like this.
  4. Dish7

Dish7

Good strategy...if it would ever friggen rain. It is so dry around me. It's crazy.

5. d_rek

d_rek

Sorry for misunderstanding I also seeded an adjacent trail (not the one pictured) that I mow regularly.

Sent from d_mobile

6. d_rek

d_rek

I mean I guess I could till it. I have access to a walk behind. Worse case I get after it with a spade. Just not sure I’m feeling upto the effort so close to season. Maybe it’s worth it for late season?

Sent from d_mobile

7. vsmorgantown

vsmorgantown

It’s horrible down here!! 46+ days with zero measurable rain. The last measurable rain we had was August 10th when I was in Alaska.

Dish7 likes this.
  8. CDN1

CDN1

I think if you put in the effort to scratch the surface, Lime and seed. Your efforts will be rewarded.
    Green rye when crops are down and everything else is dying off or brown can be a big draw.
    They are calling for rain Monday. Get the soil loosened up a little, some rain and you should still have a green food plot to hunt over in November right through. The rye being in there in the spring will help control your weeds. In march or April frost seed some clover then cut or crimp off your rye in June. Add some barassica then. Rinse and repeat. By next fall you should have the makings of a great food plot.
    You said you have the rye grain so $30.00 worth of pellet lime and some sweat is cheap.
    Good luck.

Hunters Edge likes this.
  9. Chessieman

Chessieman

Before you toss the seed for Monday's rain soak it in water for a couple hours to prevent the birds from eating it. By the looks with the green there, your fertilizer did not soak in to far or it is on to heavy. If you have one of those 3 tang rakes that will loosen the soil. When you go to Simpsons or Adair to pick up your lime buy a bag of Gypsum for $8. I would wait till after season to broadcast Gypsum in your case but it breaks down your clay. Apply a few times a year. I threw a half bushel of Rye 2 1/2 weeks ago on hard ass dried clay were the water was behind the dikes I built last fall. The Rye is 3" high now and I am only 20 miles north of you, good luck!

d_rek likes this.
  10. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

If you were closer, I have a small spike tooth drag you could borrow.

11. ckosal

ckosal Addicted2hunting4 Premium Member

A lot of good advice... but i also wonder if the seed was old or bad. Any chance it got wet then dried? Out in the sun too long? Old?

Personally, I have joked about growing Rye anywhere... And I mean anywhere. The seed that falls free when i pour it from the 50lb bag to the Earthway always grows on my gravel driveway. I have had it sprout in the bucket of my Kubota and the most amazing one was when it sprouted in the bed of my truck after spilling some. Key to all is rain/moisture. But wow, my experience is that bad soil means thinner yield, but none? Strange...

vsmorgantown and d_rek like this.
  12. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

I don't see any seed there to take Derek! Probably the same reason mine didn't take in this small plot. There is some perennial clover in there but still plenty of bare ground for rye to germinate....if the seed lasts long enough. If you get rain it will be up in a few days.

IMG_0281 (1).jpg

IMG_0299 (3).jpg

I broadcasted some more seed yesterday and we got rain last night. Hopefully the same will happen for you.

13. d_rek

d_rek

Now see right after I put it down we had rain... thought I was golden. But it was more of a washout...

Sent from d_mobile

14. d_rek

d_rek

I limed heavily last year but not this year. I still have maybe 5lbs left. The cereal rye came from Adair. Bought it summer of 2019.

Sent from d_mobile

15. Waif

Waif

You need water.

Guessing the seed I bought was old or corrupted.
    Forget the date weeks ago but we had lots of rain. Enough it should have germinated and got started.
    Rape germinated , rye just swelled up like it wanted too.
    No rain since checking it last. So if it had germinated well it would have dried off anyways.

I'll need to seed again before this next stretch of rain. Hoping rain don't steer away...

At least critters didn't get it this time. There was lots of seed showing as evidence.

Did broadcast into some mowed areas as well. We'll see what becomes of that .

Check your soil for a crust on top as it dries.
    If rye (or many seedling types) has to punch through it from either direction , you'll want to work on increasing friability. Raking can help , but not if it dries hard again.
    My surface broadcasting has shown extended roots from trying to get through a not all that bad crust when soil does not stay moist.
    When moist , root goes into soil easier/faster and seedlings get a better start.

You'll see by checking your stuff.

If you're out back of the house , I wouldn't sweat worrying about bugging deer when seeding.
    Just be obvious and noisy and don't sneak around.
    They already know people are loud and obnoxious around homes.

November Sunrise likes this.